AutoBanter

-   Technology (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   No electric to new fuel pump (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=123096)

[email protected] March 6th 07 02:57 AM

No electric to new fuel pump

I recently installed a new fuel pump on a 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Laredo and it is not getting any power. I checked the voltage at the
connection and it read 11 something but when I plug the fuel pump
in.........it loses all voltage. Something is grounded it when I plug
it in. I have checked all relays and I am completely
stumped........any thoughts.

Nate Nagel[_2_] March 6th 07 03:11 AM

No electric to new fuel pump

wrote:
> I recently installed a new fuel pump on a 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee
> Laredo and it is not getting any power. I checked the voltage at the
> connection and it read 11 something but when I plug the fuel pump
> in.........it loses all voltage. Something is grounded it when I plug
> it in. I have checked all relays and I am completely
> stumped........any thoughts.

you say you've checked the relay but is it possible that the fuel pump
relay has high resistance across the contact points... sounds plausible
esp. if the old pump really was bad, could have been drawing very high
current causing an arc when the points closed/opened. If a relay for
your vehicle is not that expensive I'd try it.

good luck,

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Scott Dorsey March 6th 07 02:02 PM

No electric to new fuel pump

> wrote:
>I recently installed a new fuel pump on a 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee
>Laredo and it is not getting any power. I checked the voltage at the
>connection and it read 11 something but when I plug the fuel pump
>in.........it loses all voltage. Something is grounded it when I plug
>it in. I have checked all relays and I am completely
>stumped........any thoughts.

The meter pulls a lot less current than the pump does... if you put a light
bulb there, you'll find it doesn't light up at all, even though the high
impedance meter measures a little leakage voltage.

Check the pump relay. Then check the wiring.
--scott