AutoBanter

-   Ford Mustang (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Side scoops discoloring (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=120070)

Rick Olive February 25th 07 12:18 AM

Side scoops discoloring

03 Cobra in Oxford White side scoops are turning yellow. Seems to be
bleeding up from beneath the color coat and covers the whole scoop (on
both scoops). Paint appears fine everywhere else. Is anyone else having
this problem? Thinking about repainting but will that fix it?

[email protected] February 25th 07 01:37 AM

Side scoops discoloring

On Feb 24, 6:18 pm, Rick Olive > wrote:
> 03 Cobra in Oxford White side scoops are turning yellow. Seems to be
> bleeding up from beneath the color coat and covers the whole scoop (on
> both scoops). Paint appears fine everywhere else. Is anyone else having
> this problem? Thinking about repainting but will that fix it?

Rick,

I would check out/look for any TSBs (technical service bulletins).
Repainting should fix it if the material/scoop is prepped correctly --
something, obviously, the factory didn't do.

Me... I always wondered what those cars would look like without the
scoops. I'd probably take them off and wouldn't put them back on.

Patrick
'93 Cobra

Rick Olive February 25th 07 03:54 PM

Side scoops discoloring

wrote:
> On Feb 24, 6:18 pm, Rick Olive > wrote:
>
>>03 Cobra in Oxford White side scoops are turning yellow. Seems to be
>>bleeding up from beneath the color coat and covers the whole scoop (on
>>both scoops). Paint appears fine everywhere else. Is anyone else having
>>this problem? Thinking about repainting but will that fix it?

> Rick,
>
> I would check out/look for any TSBs (technical service bulletins).
> Repainting should fix it if the material/scoop is prepped correctly --
> something, obviously, the factory didn't do.
>
> Me... I always wondered what those cars would look like without the
> scoops. I'd probably take them off and wouldn't put them back on.
>
> Patrick
> '93 Cobra

Yeah, they're certainly non-functional and have kind of a ricey
'glued-on body kit'look. Definitely the only design cue I don't care for
on the Cobra. Dunno. Maybe I will yank 'em. I'll post pics if it happens :->

John C. February 25th 07 04:46 PM

Side scoops discoloring

"Rick Olive" > wrote in message

> > Me... I always wondered what those cars would look like without the
> > scoops. I'd probably take them off and wouldn't put them back on.
> >

> Yeah, they're certainly non-functional and have kind of a ricey
> 'glued-on body kit'look. Definitely the only design cue I don't care for
> on the Cobra. Dunno. Maybe I will yank 'em. I'll post pics if it happens

:->

If you are so inclined, be advised that the area beneath _isn't_ pretty. :)

I replaced the 1/4 scoops on both my '00 GT and the '03 Cobra with the
"Bullit" version. A much cleaner look, IMO. Replacement is a simple task,
once the scoops are painted.
--
John C.
'03 Cobra Convt.