AutoBanter

-   VW water cooled (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Accidental shift into reverse without clutch (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=15024)

ukhan January 10th 05 01:33 PM

Accidental shift into reverse without clutch

I woke up on the wrong side of bed this morning. When I went to back
the car out of the parking spot, I didn't clutch and tried shifting it,
accidentally. It shifted by making a grinding noise and stalled the
engine.

Once I tried reversing with the clutch, it moved and everything seems
to be working. I am curious to assess the damage I did.
Hope to hear some expert opinions. Thanks

Rob Guenther January 12th 05 10:48 PM

:-( I did the exact same thing to my dad's 2003 Golf CL this morning... The
instant it happened I remembered this post... I've been driving my automatic
TDI too long I think, combined with being up at 5:30 in the morning, and
worrying about the pure ice on the road this morning.... yah, must have been
that.... Sounded aweful, but I didn't seem to break anything, I drove around
in reverse and tried to "feel" for something, but it all seemed okay.
ups.com...

Woodchuck January 14th 05 12:52 AM

All depends, what year is the car. 99.5 and up had a heavier reverse gear.
Before that they were only about 2 inches in diameter. Time will tell.

ups.com...