AutoBanter

-   Ford Explorer (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Ford Explorer 1994(Manual) Gear Problem (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=77056)

[email protected] October 23rd 06 09:00 PM

Ford Explorer 1994(Manual) Gear Problem

I have problem with my Ford Explorer 1994(Manual)4x4.1,40,000 miles.
When i change the gear i can't seem to find it.I will go for 1st and it
will slip in either third or 5th.Or won't find the gear at all.I need
some advice before I get ripped off by a mechanic for whatever he tells
me is wrong with it.
thanks

[email protected] October 23rd 06 09:44 PM

wrote:
> I have problem with my Ford Explorer 1994(Manual)4x4.1,40,000 miles.
> When i change the gear i can't seem to find it.I will go for 1st and it
> will slip in either third or 5th.Or won't find the gear at all.I need
> some advice before I get ripped off by a mechanic for whatever he tells
> me is wrong with it.

I believe there are some nylon or plastic guides in there, accessed by
removing the top cover. I saw a procedure for replacing the infamous
plastic shift rail plugs with steel freeze plugs which also mentioned
changing those guides at the same time. They wear out. You have to
peel back or cut the carpet over the transmission to access the top
cover (where the shift lever goes in), remove the bolts holding the
cover and the cover to access those plastic pieces.
-Paul