AutoBanter

-   Mazda (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Advantages of an Electric Car (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=360303)

sara[_2_] August 30th 10 12:42 PM

Advantages of an Electric Car

http://www.greenautomotive.co.cc/201...ctric-car.html

Chuck[_13_] September 3rd 10 05:53 AM

Advantages of an Electric Car

On 8/30/2010 7:42 AM, sara wrote:
> Advantages of an Electric Car
> http://www.greenautomotive.co.cc/201...ctric-car.html

Long ago and far away (before WWII) my father and his friends often rode
to high school in an old electric car. One of his classmates family
business was making car and industrial batteries, and naturally, he had
one of the old electric cars that was handed down.

Chris D'Agnolo[_2_] September 16th 10 04:18 AM

"Chuck" > wrote in message
> On 8/30/2010 7:42 AM, sara wrote:
>> Advantages of an Electric Car
>> http://www.greenautomotive.co.cc/201...ctric-car.html

> Long ago and far away (before WWII) my father and his friends often rode
> to high school in an old electric car. One of his classmates family
> business was making car and industrial batteries, and naturally, he had
> one of the old electric cars that was handed down.

Chuck, do you have any old pictures of it? That would be cool to see the
style of the time!

Chris
99BBB

Chuck[_13_] September 16th 10 09:01 AM

On 9/15/2010 11:18 PM, Chris D'Agnolo wrote:

> "Chuck" > wrote in message
>> On 8/30/2010 7:42 AM, sara wrote:
>>> Advantages of an Electric Car
>>> http://www.greenautomotive.co.cc/201...ctric-car.html

>> Long ago and far away (before WWII) my father and his friends often
>> rode to high school in an old electric car. One of his classmates
>> family business was making car and industrial batteries, and
>> naturally, he had one of the old electric cars that was handed down.

> Chuck, do you have any old pictures of it? That would be cool to see the
> style of the time!
>
> Chris
> 99BBB

I had seen a poor picture of it in the early 50's, when I was still in
elementary school. It looked much like many early cars, with a high
rectangular top, flat glass on the front, with a hinged section, and a
sloped front. The steering was with a handle instead of a wheel.

Sadly, when my grandparents passed away, much was thrown out, in order
to ready their modest house for sale.

More interesting to me at the time was a picture of one of my great
aunt's cars. Seems that she was the first woman to own a car in the
state (Illinois). It was an Olds, and had a large rear seat well above
the front one. Her father, my maternal great-grandfather, ran a family
owned "dry-goods" store that was in business from the 1800's to the
1960's. When I was a small child, his son owned and ran the store until
he died at an advanced age. The store and several other family owned
businesses in the same block had paper invoices for various items bought
by Abraham Lincoln and family. As a small child, one of my great
grandmothers lived across the street from Lincoln before he was elected
president.

Tim M.[_2_] September 16th 10 06:52 PM

On Sep 16, 4:01*am, Chuck > wrote:
> On 9/15/2010 11:18 PM, Chris D'Agnolo wrote:

> >> Long ago and far away (before WWII) my father and his friends often
> >> rode to high school in an old electric car. One of his classmates
> >> family business was making car and industrial batteries, and
> >> naturally, he had one of the old electric cars that was handed down.

> > Chuck, do you have any old pictures of it? That would be cool to see the
> > style of the time!

> > Chris
> > 99BBB

> I had seen a poor picture of it in the early 50's, when I was still in
> elementary school. It looked much like many early cars, with a high
> rectangular top, flat glass on the front, with a hinged section, and a
> sloped front. The steering was with a handle instead of a wheel.

A tiller, I think they called them.

T.J. Higgins September 16th 10 08:30 PM

In article >, Tim M. wrote:
>On Sep 16, 4:01*am, Chuck > wrote:

>> > Chuck, do you have any old pictures of it? That would be cool to see the
>> > style of the time!

>> > Chris
>> > 99BBB

>> I had seen a poor picture of it in the early 50's, when I was still in
>> elementary school. It looked much like many early cars, with a high
>> rectangular top, flat glass on the front, with a hinged section, and a
>> sloped front. The steering was with a handle instead of a wheel.

>A tiller, I think they called them.

Correct.

There were quite a number of electric car makers in the USA
from 1900-1930:
<http://www.american-automobiles.com/Electric-Automobile-Manufacturers.html>
Many were not much more than horse buggies with electric motors and
a tiller for steering. Hence the term "horseless carriage."

--
TJH

tjhiggin.at.hiwaay.dot.net