AutoBanter

-   Technology (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   No good deed goes unpunished (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=364112)

Hachiroku[_5_] December 4th 10 06:33 PM

No good deed goes unpunished

I was watching reruns of Top Gear this morning (well, not 'watching'...I
got home ~3 last night, so I was kind of one-eyeing the TV this morning)
and they did this thing where they came to America, and instead of renting
cars, they bought some older cars just shy of beaters and drove them to
New Orleans. First thing that got my attention was one of them saying "We
couldn't believe this kind of devastation would still be apparent a year
after Katrina. In the wealthiest nation in the world, how do you sleep at
night?!"

But the killer was they had decided to drive to NO and SELL the cars and
see who could get the highest price, but after seeing the place they
decided it wouldn't be right to sell the cars, so they looked up a mission
and GAVE the cars away. James What-his-name had an '89 Camaro that was in
decent shape, and as he was describing it to the people that wound up
taking it, he said "Rev counter..not good. Speedo...not good. Fuel
guage...not good. Engine...BRILLIANT, and the transmission too."

After the segment, in the studio back in England, one of the guys said to
James, "Well, the tape made it look like giving your car away was a piece
of cake, but it wasn't quite that easy, was it?" James said...

"No. A woman came out of the mission and said we had stated the Camaro was
a '90, when actually it was an '89, and that they were going to sue us for
misrepresentation. She said if I gave her $20,000 it could all go away
right now. Moral of the story, you CAN actually buy a car and drive
cheaper than renting, just DON'T DO IT IN AMERICA!"

hls December 4th 10 08:13 PM

"Hachiroku" > wrote in message news:ide1h5>
> "No. A woman came out of the mission and said we had stated the Camaro was
> a '90, when actually it was an '89, and that they were going to sue us for
> misrepresentation. She said if I gave her $20,000 it could all go away
> right now. Moral of the story, you CAN actually buy a car and drive
> cheaper than renting, just DON'T DO IT IN AMERICA!"

Never underestimate the will of some American people to get something
for nothing. We are a litigious nation of thieves.

[email protected] December 4th 10 08:24 PM

No good deed goes unpunished

That Top Gear program was filmed about two years and seven months after
Hurricane Katrina.They expected New Orleans would be all cleaned up in
two something years? Not possible!

If a ''Hurricane Katrina'' hit a city in England about the same size and
population of New Orleans (before Hurricane Katrina) they would still be
cleaning up and rebuilding now.In my opinion.

Last night on Top Gear - BBC America, Jeremy Clarkson gave a thumbs up
for the Dodge Viper SRT.
cuhulin

hls December 4th 10 10:47 PM

No good deed goes unpunished

> wrote in message
> That Top Gear program was filmed about two years and seven months after
> Hurricane Katrina.They expected New Orleans would be all cleaned up in
> two something years? Not possible!

I dont agree at all. The Texas Gulf Coast was hit by Rita sometime
after Katrina. There was considerable damage, but possibly not as
severe as Katrina.

People in the Texas Gulf Coast were headed home as soon as the
storm passed. They insisted on going back to their homes and
starting the cleaning and rebuilding process. They didnt wait for
someone to do it for them.

The disaster in New Orleans was severe, and was mishandled at
every level. FEMA blew millions of dollars that were unneeded and
ineffective. Local authorities absolutely sucked. It WAS possible
to rebuild much quicker than has been done, but with the system and
personalities in play, "little or nothing" was done on a timely and
efficient basis.

The federal government does not owe me to replace my house if
it is blown away, nor to reimburse me for what I have failed to
protect, nor to take the blame if I am told to evacuate and am
too hard headed to do it.

Just my 2 cents.

Brent[_4_] December 5th 10 12:33 AM

On 2010-12-04, hls > wrote:

> "Hachiroku" > wrote in message news:ide1h5>
>> "No. A woman came out of the mission and said we had stated the Camaro was
>> a '90, when actually it was an '89, and that they were going to sue us for
>> misrepresentation. She said if I gave her $20,000 it could all go away
>> right now. Moral of the story, you CAN actually buy a car and drive
>> cheaper than renting, just DON'T DO IT IN AMERICA!"

> Never underestimate the will of some American people to get something
> for nothing. We are a litigious nation of thieves.

That is trickle down from the top of the power structure.

Brent[_4_] December 5th 10 12:34 AM

On 2010-12-04, hls > wrote:

> wrote in message
>> That Top Gear program was filmed about two years and seven months after
>> Hurricane Katrina.They expected New Orleans would be all cleaned up in
>> two something years? Not possible!

> I dont agree at all. The Texas Gulf Coast was hit by Rita sometime
> after Katrina. There was considerable damage, but possibly not as
> severe as Katrina.
>
> People in the Texas Gulf Coast were headed home as soon as the
> storm passed. They insisted on going back to their homes and
> starting the cleaning and rebuilding process. They didnt wait for
> someone to do it for them.
>
> The disaster in New Orleans was severe, and was mishandled at
> every level. FEMA blew millions of dollars that were unneeded and
> ineffective. Local authorities absolutely sucked. It WAS possible
> to rebuild much quicker than has been done, but with the system and
> personalities in play, "little or nothing" was done on a timely and
> efficient basis.
>
> The federal government does not owe me to replace my house if
> it is blown away, nor to reimburse me for what I have failed to
> protect, nor to take the blame if I am told to evacuate and am
> too hard headed to do it.

But they will do everything possible to get in your way and tell you
what you must do.

Tegger[_3_] December 5th 10 12:49 AM

No good deed goes unpunished

Hachiroku > wrote in
:

> After the segment, in the studio back in England, one of the guys said
> to James, "Well, the tape made it look like giving your car away was a
> piece of cake, but it wasn't quite that easy, was it?" James said...
>
> "No. A woman came out of the mission and said we had stated the Camaro
> was a '90, when actually it was an '89, and that they were going to
> sue us for misrepresentation. She said if I gave her $20,000 it could
> all go away right now. Moral of the story, you CAN actually buy a car
> and drive cheaper than renting, just DON'T DO IT IN AMERICA!"

Hachi, please remember that Top Gear is meant to be /entertainment/. It's
basically a reality show revolving around cars. Do not expect accurate
journalism or accurate anything else in that show. And Jeremy Clarkson --
very famously -- hates Americans.

It was Jeremy Clarkson that had the Camaro, not James May, and the Camaro
was a '91, not a '89 or a '90.

More he
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_Gear:_US_Special>

--
Tegger

[email protected] December 5th 10 01:16 AM

No good deed goes unpunished

As soon as Hurricane Katrina had wreaked it's wraith, Mississippians
rolled up their sleeves and went to work.
http://www.GulfCoastNews.com

One of my Heros is Dr.Ben Marble, Gulfport.What he told Dick Cheney.
cuhulin

Hachiroku ハチロク[_2_] December 5th 10 01:41 AM

On Sun, 05 Dec 2010 00:49:15 +0000, Tegger wrote:

> Hachiroku > wrote in
> :
>

>> After the segment, in the studio back in England, one of the guys said
>> to James, "Well, the tape made it look like giving your car away was a
>> piece of cake, but it wasn't quite that easy, was it?" James said...
>>
>> "No. A woman came out of the mission and said we had stated the Camaro
>> was a '90, when actually it was an '89, and that they were going to sue
>> us for misrepresentation. She said if I gave her $20,000 it could all go
>> away right now. Moral of the story, you CAN actually buy a car and drive
>> cheaper than renting, just DON'T DO IT IN AMERICA!"

> Hachi, please remember that Top Gear is meant to be /entertainment/. It's
> basically a reality show revolving around cars. Do not expect accurate
> journalism or accurate anything else in that show. And Jeremy Clarkson --
> very famously -- hates Americans.
>
> It was Jeremy Clarkson that had the Camaro, not James May, and the Camaro
> was a '91, not a '89 or a '90.
>
> More he
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_Gear:_US_Special>

I remembered rereading it that it was in fact "supposedly" a '91.

However, none of that excuses the fact that they GAVE the cars away to
needy people, and got KICKED IN THE ASS for it!

Hachiroku ハチロク[_2_] December 5th 10 01:42 AM