AutoBanter

-   Driving (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Police chase BMW, driver later LLB's on interstate (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=54425)

Dave Stone January 18th 06 09:11 PM

Police chase BMW, driver later LLB's on interstate

On Foxnews they just had a heli following a BMW in a police pursuit
(Texas?). About a minute after I turned it on, they said the police (cars)
chose not to continue the chase. The heli still continued to monitor the
BMW as it seemed to slow down, at least compared to the other drivers
around on the interstate.

Well the BMW's driver just got in the leftmost lane. A black F150 came up
from behind almost out of nowhere. It appeared he was one or two car
lengths behind the LLB BMW for about 5-10 seconds before having to pass on
the right.

Doug Warner January 19th 06 02:56 AM

Dave Stone <n> wrote:

>On Foxnews they just had a heli following a BMW in a police pursuit
>(Texas?). About a minute after I turned it on, they said the police (cars)
>chose not to continue the chase. The heli still continued to monitor the

Why even chase in the first place. Send a helicopter up, put a few
..50Cal rounds through the hood / engine.. If it's being driven by a
car thief, then put one through the driver.
--
Email reply: please remove one letter from each side of "@"
Spammers are Scammers. Exterminate them.

Brent P January 19th 06 06:38 AM

In article >, Doug Warner wrote:

> Why even chase in the first place. Send a helicopter up, put a few
> .50Cal rounds through the hood / engine.. If it's being driven by a
> car thief, then put one through the driver.

What I have always found rather assinine is this idea that the way to
recover stolen propery is often to destroy such property.

Mike T. January 19th 06 04:06 PM

Police chase BMW, driver later LLB's on interstate

>> Why even chase in the first place. Send a helicopter up, put a few
>> .50Cal rounds through the hood / engine.. If it's being driven by a
>> car thief, then put one through the driver.

> What I have always found rather assinine is this idea that the way to
> recover stolen propery is often to destroy such property.

Why not? Either way, insurance pays. But if you allow the stolen car to
escape, then crime also pays. -Dave

Garth Almgren January 20th 06 08:46 AM

Around 1/19/2006 9:06 PM, Scott en Aztlán wrote:

> If my car is ever stolen and becomes part of a police pursuit, I
> *want* the thief to drive it until the sparks fly off the bare rims
> and the engine catches on fire. In the event of a theft, I want a new
> car, not a "repaired" theft recovery.

Plus, then you can buy back the recovered vehicle and sell it on eBay
"as seen on <insert TV news agency>!"

The story:
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...rchase27m.html

And, of course, the video: http://komotv.com/qt/pointers/_chase2_100405.mov

--
~/Garth |"I believe that it is better to tell the truth than a lie.
Almgren | I believe it is better to be free than to be a slave.

Larry Bud January 20th 06 02:36 PM

Brent P wrote:
> In article >, Doug Warner wrote:
>
> > Why even chase in the first place. Send a helicopter up, put a few
> > .50Cal rounds through the hood / engine.. If it's being driven by a
> > car thief, then put one through the driver.

> What I have always found rather assinine is this idea that the way to
> recover stolen propery is often to destroy such property.

Who says they're chasing the guy over stolen property?

Pooh Bear January 20th 06 03:37 PM

Brent P wrote:

> In article >, Doug Warner wrote:
>
> > Why even chase in the first place. Send a helicopter up, put a few
> > .50Cal rounds through the hood / engine.. If it's being driven by a
> > car thief, then put one through the driver.

> What I have always found rather assinine is this idea that the way to
> recover stolen propery is often to destroy such property.

Yes indeed. Watching 'World's Stupidest Police Chases' I notice that the cops
love to help wreck a stolen car. Not sure what the point of it is. Makes good
TV I guess ?

Graham

Brent P January 20th 06 04:46 PM

In article .com>, Larry Bud wrote:

> Brent P wrote:
>> In article >, Doug Warner wrote:
>>
>> > Why even chase in the first place. Send a helicopter up, put a few
>> > .50Cal rounds through the hood / engine.. If it's being driven by a
>> > car thief, then put one through the driver.

>> What I have always found rather assinine is this idea that the way to
>> recover stolen propery is often to destroy such property.

> Who says they're chasing the guy over stolen property?

Usually the voice over in such chases....

laura bush - VEHICULAR HOMICIDE January 20th 06 05:24 PM

Police chase BMW, driver later LLB's on interstate

On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 21:56:09 -0500, Doug Warner
> wrote:

>Dave Stone <n> wrote:
>
>>On Foxnews they just had a heli following a BMW in a police pursuit
>>(Texas?). About a minute after I turned it on, they said the police (cars)
>>chose not to continue the chase. The heli still continued to monitor the

>Why even chase in the first place. Send a helicopter up, put a few
>.50Cal rounds through the hood / engine.. If it's being driven by a
>car thief, then put one through the driver.

You just gave me a great idea. Why not do that with speeders? Have
helicopters monitoring the highways and when they see a deadly speeder
just blast it to dust. Lets stop coddling these deadly speeders.

Dave Stone January 21st 06 03:08 PM

Dave Stone <n> wrote in :

> On Foxnews they just had a heli following a BMW in a police pursuit
> (Texas?). About a minute after I turned it on, they said the police
> (cars) chose not to continue the chase. The heli still continued to
> monitor the BMW as it seemed to slow down, at least compared to the
> other drivers around on the interstate.

Apparently the BMW driver later tried to take an entrance ramp the wrong
way and crashed into someone else. He was trapped in the car and the cops
had to remove him via sunroof. There's a video of the accident in the
linked story (Realplayer). A Houston cop was ****ed after they called off
the chase, and had to turn his badge in after criticizing the HPD.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/...n1220159.shtml