AutoBanter

-   Honda (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   '00 Odyssey Losing Oil, Very Dirty (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=148047)

[email protected] April 23rd 07 08:38 PM

'00 Odyssey Losing Oil, Very Dirty

I need some help on a perplexing issue with our 2000 Odyssey.

After many trouble-free miles, it has begun losing oil in dramatic
fashion. We've added a 1/2 quart twice in the last 3 days of light
driving alone.

Here's the mystery:

Absolutely no oil on garage floor. Not a drop.
The coolant levels are perfect.
The engine is not overheating or running warm.
Engine acceleration and power are normal.

Besides losing oil, the only other possible symptom is that the oil on
the dipstick is very dirty.

Any suggestions or ideas? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Brian.

Gordon McGrew[_1_] April 24th 07 12:28 AM

On 23 Apr 2007 12:38:43 -0700, wrote:

>I need some help on a perplexing issue with our 2000 Odyssey.
>
>After many trouble-free miles, it has begun losing oil in dramatic
>fashion. We've added a 1/2 quart twice in the last 3 days of light
>driving alone.
>
>Here's the mystery:
>
>Absolutely no oil on garage floor. Not a drop.
>The coolant levels are perfect.
>The engine is not overheating or running warm.
>Engine acceleration and power are normal.
>
>Besides losing oil, the only other possible symptom is that the oil on
>the dipstick is very dirty.
>
>Any suggestions or ideas? Any help is greatly appreciated.
>
>Brian.

The place to start is the PCV valve. If that is not the problem, then
it sounds like a serious mechanical problem like a broken ring.

We assume that it is running OK and no check engine light. How many
mile on it?

How did you happen to notice that consumption was suddenly this high?
Did the oil light come on?

jim beam April 24th 07 01:58 AM

wrote:
> I need some help on a perplexing issue with our 2000 Odyssey.
>
> After many trouble-free miles, it has begun losing oil in dramatic
> fashion. We've added a 1/2 quart twice in the last 3 days of light
> driving alone.
>
> Here's the mystery:
>
> Absolutely no oil on garage floor. Not a drop.
> The coolant levels are perfect.
> The engine is not overheating or running warm.
> Engine acceleration and power are normal.
>
> Besides losing oil, the only other possible symptom is that the oil on
> the dipstick is very dirty.
>
> Any suggestions or ideas? Any help is greatly appreciated.
>
> Brian.

please learn to cross-post. replies to your other message will be lost
here.