AutoBanter

-   Simulators (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   GPL question (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=354814)

APLer June 12th 10 06:59 PM

GPL question

Whenever I push the car through a corner and effectively do a very low
angle powerslide, I get this oscillation from left to right. Does anyone
know how of fix this problem. I'll be steady - that is no drifing across
the track either left or right, but the oscillation will continue right
through the turn. Any ideas?

Bob_Simpson[_2_] June 12th 10 10:27 PM

GPL question

On Jun 12, 1:59*pm, APLer > wrote:
> Whenever I push the car through a corner and effectively do a very low
> angle powerslide, I get this oscillation from left to right. Does anyone
> know how of fix this problem. I'll be steady - that is no drifing across
> the track either left or right, but the oscillation will continue right
> through the turn. Any ideas?

This sounds like a problem with your force feedback. I'd recommend
reducing the latency to near zero (0.0005) or zero in the core.ini and/
or reducing the force acting on the wheel by increasing the torque
number.

I use brr's FF patch http://srmz.net/index.php?showtopic=4226 where
it's recommended to put damping to zero.

APLer June 13th 10 02:19 PM

GPL question

Bob_Simpson > wrote in news:b1b6be70-0697-4b70-9f04-
:

> On Jun 12, 1:59*pm, APLer > wrote:
>> Whenever I push the car through a corner and effectively do a very low
>> angle powerslide, I get this oscillation from left to right. Does anyone
>> know how of fix this problem. I'll be steady - that is no drifing across
>> the track either left or right, but the oscillation will continue right
>> through the turn. Any ideas?

> This sounds like a problem with your force feedback.

I don't use force feedback. I'll hold the wheel dead steady with maximum
turning at maximum speed - without spinning - and it will happen.

Peter[_1_] June 14th 10 12:04 PM

GPL question

In article >, e says...
> Bob_Simpson > wrote in news:b1b6be70-0697-4b70-9f04-

:

> > On Jun 12, 1:59*pm, APLer > wrote:
> >> Whenever I push the car through a corner and effectively do a very low
> >> angle powerslide, I get this oscillation from left to right. Does anyone
> >> know how of fix this problem. I'll be steady - that is no drifing across
> >> the track either left or right, but the oscillation will continue right
> >> through the turn. Any ideas?

> > This sounds like a problem with your force feedback.

> I don't use force feedback. I'll hold the wheel dead steady with maximum
> turning at maximum speed - without spinning - and it will happen.

It's far too long since I played GPL, but I'm sure I used to notice
something similar and did make a mention here once, though others at the
time hadn't noticed it. I'm no setup expert, so forgive me in advance,
but could it be something to do with bump/rebound or spring/damper
settings being soft so they are compressing/decompressing?

--
Pete Ives

Pat Dotson June 14th 10 07:51 PM

GPL question

> It's far too long since I played GPL...

Same here. But, generally speaking, increasing rebound damping should
help that. Stiffening front and rear roll bars might also help.

Pat Dotson

APLer June 14th 10 11:20 PM

GPL question

Peter > wrote in
om:

> In article >, e
> says...
>> Bob_Simpson > wrote in

:

>> > This sounds like a problem with your force feedback.

>> I don't use force feedback. I'll hold the wheel dead steady with
>> maximum turning at maximum speed - without spinning - and it will
>> happen.
>>

> It's far too long since I played GPL, but I'm sure I used to notice
> something similar and did make a mention here once, though others at
> the time hadn't noticed it. I'm no setup expert, so forgive me in
> advance, but could it be something to do with bump/rebound or
> spring/damper settings being soft so they are
> compressing/decompressing?

Perhaps. I'll try turning them to zero. However, it only happens when you
hear tire squeal of course - just to clarify.

Pat Dotson June 15th 10 03:09 PM

GPL question

> > ...but could it be something to do with bump/rebound or
> > spring/damper settings being soft so they are
> > compressing/decompressing?

> Perhaps. I'll try turning them to zero. However, it only happens when you
> hear tire squeal of course - just to clarify.

I think he's suggesting that you increase the damping to get rid of
the observed behavior. More damping will reduce the amount of
oscillation as spring loads change.

--
Pat Dotson

APLer June 16th 10 01:31 AM

GPL question

Pat Dotson > wrote in
:

>> > ...but could it be something to do with bump/rebound or
>> > spring/damper settings being soft so they are
>> > compressing/decompressing?

>> Perhaps. I'll try turning them to zero. However, it only happens when
>> you hear tire squeal of course - just to clarify.

> I think he's suggesting that you increase the damping to get rid of
> the observed behavior. More damping will reduce the amount of
> oscillation as spring loads change.

Yeah, I realized that after the send button went down. Thanks.

rcgldr[_2_] June 17th 10 09:01 AM

GPL question

>> I think he's suggesting that you increase the damping to get rid of
>> the observed behavior. More damping will reduce the amount of
>> oscillation as spring loads change.

Assuming it's not related to GPL's tire modeling of sidewall flex.
I seem to recall some of the cars were prone to yawing mid-turn.

APLer June 17th 10 12:21 PM

GPL question

"rcgldr" > wrote in :

>>> I think he's suggesting that you increase the damping to get rid of
>>> the observed behavior. More damping will reduce the amount of
>>> oscillation as spring loads change.

> Assuming it's not related to GPL's tire modeling of sidewall flex.
> I seem to recall some of the cars were prone to yawing mid-turn.

I haven't shown that to be true yet. However at a first test with a BRM and
a Cooper, I'm still getting the oscillation, although it *might be less -
that is requiring a harder drive to cause it to happen. I'll have to
experiment with Monza I guess. The first turn there is the one where I
first noticed it - with the Lotus. I'll have to try raising the damping a
lot higher to find out I think. I've used the recomendations in GRE, but
they didn't seem to stop it.