AutoBanter

-   Simulators (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   EA strikes again (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=17576)

Indy December 14th 04 04:03 AM

EA strikes again

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/sport...ory?id=1945691

EA ruined NASCAR racing by getting exclusive rights, now they're going
to do the same to football. What kills me is that these corporations
(NASCAR, NFL, PGA, FIFA, ....) let this happen. I know, it's all about
money, and obviously EA has enough to kill their competition, even if
they make an inferior product.

I'm done with EA.

Kyle Roberts December 14th 04 04:37 AM

"Indy" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/sport...ory?id=1945691
>
> EA ruined NASCAR racing by getting exclusive rights, now they're going
> to do the same to football. What kills me is that these corporations
> (NASCAR, NFL, PGA, FIFA, ....) let this happen. I know, it's all about
> money, and obviously EA has enough to kill their competition, even if
> they make an inferior product.
>
> I'm done with EA.

I was already done with them.

Although, it was the NFL's idea to go exclusive with their license. EA just
happened to have the biggest bankroll. Just like with the Nascar exclusive
license, the person that gets screwed is the consumer. This consumer is
speaking with his wallet. They won't be getting a dime from me.

Byron Forbes December 14th 04 06:57 AM

Money makes the world go 'round - so much that people get quite giddy.

And when the ******s make money from this, they go out to the shops to
spend their money and find a bunch of worthless items all manufactered by
****en idiots just like themselves! :) What goes around....................

Very few make it mean much to be human. The human race is extremely over
rated!

oups.com...

Mark Davison December 14th 04 07:44 AM

"Byron Forbes" > wrote in message
> Money makes the world go 'round - so much that people get quite giddy.
>
> And when the ******s make money from this, they go out to the shops to
> spend their money and find a bunch of worthless items all manufactered by
> ****en idiots just like themselves! :) What goes
> around....................
>
> Very few make it mean much to be human. The human race is extremely
> over
> rated!

As a statement from someone who will kill any of their own childeren for
being homosexual, "The human race is extremely over rated!" is interesting.

I must admit, however, I was not aware that our species was up for any kind
of performance review. I missed that memo.

Uwe Schürkamp December 14th 04 12:22 PM

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 17:57:12 +1100, Byron Forbes wrote:

> Very few make it mean much to be human. The human race is extremely over
> rated!

don't call "us" the human race, we're just one culture among many. A
dominant culture to be sure, but surely not long-lived. (what's 10,000
years of taker culture compared two 2 *million* years of human
existence?) .

Cheers,

uwe

--
GPG Fingerprint: 2E 13 20 22 9A 3F 63 7F 67 6F E9 B1 A8 36 A4 61

Byron Forbes December 14th 04 03:15 PM

"Mark Davison" > wrote in message

> "Byron Forbes" > wrote in message

> > Money makes the world go 'round - so much that people get quite

giddy.

> > And when the ******s make money from this, they go out to the shops

> > spend their money and find a bunch of worthless items all manufactered

by
> > ****en idiots just like themselves! :) What goes
> > around....................
> >
> > Very few make it mean much to be human. The human race is extremely
> > over
> > rated!

> As a statement from someone who will kill any of their own childeren for
> being homosexual, "The human race is extremely over rated!" is

interesting.

Consistant, aren't I?

> I must admit, however, I was not aware that our species was up for any

kind
> of performance review. I missed that memo.

You sure did! That's why you're up for extermination!

Byron Forbes December 14th 04 03:19 PM

"Uwe Schürkamp" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 17:57:12 +1100, Byron Forbes wrote:
> >
> > Very few make it mean much to be human. The human race is extremely

over
> > rated!
> >

> don't call "us" the human race, we're just one culture among many. A
> dominant culture to be sure, but surely not long-lived. (what's 10,000
> years of taker culture compared two 2 *million* years of human
> existence?) .

The only sure thing is that the present bunch of human **** on this
planet clearly have many IQ overlaps with many other species!

Mark Davison December 14th 04 07:20 PM

>> I must admit, however, I was not aware that our species was up for any

> kind
>> of performance review. I missed that memo.
>>

> You sure did! That's why you're up for extermination!

Not being a member of your memo distributing cult, when's my date with
destiny?

Mark Davison December 14th 04 07:33 PM

>> On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 17:57:12 +1100, Byron Forbes wrote:
>> >
>> > Very few make it mean much to be human. The human race is extremely

> over
>> > rated!
>> >

>> don't call "us" the human race, we're just one culture among many. A
>> dominant culture to be sure, but surely not long-lived. (what's 10,000
>> years of taker culture compared two 2 *million* years of human
>> existence?) .
>>

> The only sure thing is that the present bunch of human **** on this
> planet clearly have many IQ overlaps with many other species!

You make a fine example :)

JTS December 14th 04 07:57 PM

"Mark Davison" > wrote in message

> "Byron Forbes" > wrote in message
>> Money makes the world go 'round - so much that people get quite giddy.
>>
>> And when the ******s make money from this, they go out to the shops to
>> spend their money and find a bunch of worthless items all manufactered by
>> ****en idiots just like themselves! :) What goes
>> around....................
>>
>> Very few make it mean much to be human. The human race is extremely
>> over
>> rated!

> As a statement from someone who will kill any of their own childeren for
> being homosexual, "The human race is extremely over rated!" is
> interesting.
>
> I must admit, however, I was not aware that our species was up for any
> kind of performance review. I missed that memo.

We are. Read the bible.

Mark Davison December 14th 04 08:21 PM

"JTS" > wrote in message

> "Mark Davison" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Byron Forbes" > wrote in message
>>> Money makes the world go 'round - so much that people get quite
>>> giddy.
>>>
>>> And when the ******s make money from this, they go out to the shops
>>> spend their money and find a bunch of worthless items all manufactered
>>> by
>>> ****en idiots just like themselves! :) What goes
>>> around....................
>>>
>>> Very few make it mean much to be human. The human race is extremely
>>> over
>>> rated!

>> As a statement from someone who will kill any of their own childeren for
>> being homosexual, "The human race is extremely over rated!" is
>> interesting.
>>
>> I must admit, however, I was not aware that our species was up for any
>> kind of performance review. I missed that memo.

> We are. Read the bible.

Read parts back when I was at my Church of England school. Doesn't work for
me, I'm afraid.

The whole "love thy neighbour" bit is admirable but I think I'll stick with
being an atheist.

We're born, we live a life, we die then rot.

Happy travels - there's no eternity in paradise. Live for now.

Regards,

Uwe Schürkamp December 14th 04 09:16 PM

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 14:57:23 -0500, JTS wrote:

> We are. Read the bible.

No, that's too young a title, I'm afraid. The bible was written when
things were already going to hell in a handbasket.

Read "Ishmael" by Dan Quinn.

uwe

--
GPG Fingerprint: 2E 13 20 22 9A 3F 63 7F 67 6F E9 B1 A8 36 A4 61

JP December 14th 04 10:39 PM

Indy > wrote in message
oups.com...
> http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/sport...ory?id=1945691
>
> EA ruined NASCAR racing by getting exclusive rights, now they're going
> to do the same to football. What kills me is that these corporations
> (NASCAR, NFL, PGA, FIFA, ....) let this happen. I know, it's all about
> money, and obviously EA has enough to kill their competition, even if
> they make an inferior product.
>
> I'm done with EA.

<laughter>

I'm sure they're heartbroken.

And I guess you must have the current Nascar release two months ahead of
anyone else ?

Steve Blankenship December 14th 04 11:59 PM

"Byron Forbes" > wrote in message

> "Uwe Schürkamp" > wrote in message
> > On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 17:57:12 +1100, Byron Forbes wrote:
> > >
> > > Very few make it mean much to be human. The human race is

extremely
> over
> > > rated!
> > >

> > don't call "us" the human race, we're just one culture among many. A
> > dominant culture to be sure, but surely not long-lived. (what's 10,000
> > years of taker culture compared two 2 *million* years of human
> > existence?) .
> >

> The only sure thing is that the present bunch of human **** on this
> planet clearly have many IQ overlaps with many other species!

Byron, I'd like to take this opportunity to unilaterally bestow upon you the
coveted John Simmons Humanitarian Award.

A strange but wonderful award, it looks like a cross between a Cup Car and a
Cruise Missile. Use it wisely... ;-)

Jochen Heistermann December 15th 04 12:06 PM

"Indy" > wrote in message oups.com...
> http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/sport...ory?id=1945691
>
> EA ruined NASCAR racing by getting exclusive rights, now they're going
> to do the same to football.

Since Madden is from EA, it does not matter.

A more serious matter is that Sony owns the Formula 1 rights and does not publish
for the PC. There are not much useful mods out for GP4, so PC owners have a tough
time.

Jochen

Plowboy2 December 15th 04 02:29 PM

There is a f#cking problem with this licensing... Can someone tell me why
Coke, Ford, or others Pays through the nose to have thier cars or products
in a movie, yet game writers have to pay them to have thier products put
"xactly" like they were when Coke, Ford, or others paid through the nose for
us to see the race we are "emulating", on our tv???

seems f#cking ludicrous to me.

Jochen Heistermann enlightened us with:

Byron Forbes December 15th 04 02:53 PM

"Mark Davison" > wrote in message

> Read parts back when I was at my Church of England school. Doesn't work

for
> me, I'm afraid.

No. Sacrificing myself to dagos and doing nothing about it wasn't
anything I'd buy into either.

> The whole "love thy neighbour" bit is admirable but I think I'll stick

with
> being an atheist.
>
> We're born, we live a life, we die then rot.

Is that right? It seems some mentally rot before their body does my mere
mortal friend!

> Happy travels - there's no eternity in paradise. Live for now.

More mere mortal dribble.

Byron Forbes December 15th 04 03:32 PM

"Plowboy2" > wrote in message
> There is a f#cking problem with this licensing... Can someone tell me why
> Coke, Ford, or others Pays through the nose to have thier cars or products
> in a movie, yet game writers have to pay them to have thier products put
> "xactly" like they were when Coke, Ford, or others paid through the nose

for
> us to see the race we are "emulating", on our tv???
>
> seems f#cking ludicrous to me.

Welcome to the corrupt planet earth - this is all about legal ****wits
and NASCAR, F1, etc ****wits making a fortune, nothing else. All so we pay
double for our sims for no reason other than to make a bunch of cocksuckers
richer.

btgoss December 15th 04 09:03 PM

Plowboy2 wrote:
> There is a f#cking problem with this licensing... Can someone tell me why
> Coke, Ford, or others Pays through the nose to have thier cars or products
> in a movie, yet game writers have to pay them to have thier products put
> "xactly" like they were when Coke, Ford, or others paid through the nose for
> us to see the race we are "emulating", on our tv???

The main reason you don't see this type of licensing is money. With the
exception of Halo 2 and maybe the GTA series. No game has made
"Hollywood" type of money yet. So your not going to see too many of
those types of deals. It might happen, but I don't think we will see
anything like that in the sim racing niche. Unless you count the ad
space Ratbag sold in the DTR games. (At least I think they did.)

btgoss

Plowboy2 December 15th 04 09:58 PM

Untapped resource if you aks me... I would think My employer would love to
have thier image and imaginary signage at Daytona's trackside, say if the
sim sold enough copies to warrant the exposure.

To hell with them, i say, I personally liked the rwallace#2 car graffix that
Papy shipped the NR series with, better than the original... IMHO
especially with the uncanny abilities of most of the paint and cars that
were readily available for download... lst time I checked my nr03 folder
was over 1 gig in size, most of that was mods and car downloads (bloated
friggin car downloads IMHO) of fellow racers... I downloaded the 1st
release of the "actual" Cup cars, from a site that I am positively sorry I
cant remember (to give them credit for awesome work) that was all... when I
run the game, Im online, PERIOD. Hardly never saw the licenced cars,
because I even downloaded the online generic replacement paint, which was
awesome...

I dont give a crap if you called the tracks "Big Oval 1" through "Mini Oval
Flat" for each track Dega to Martyville.

btgoss enlightened us with:

JP December 15th 04 10:30 PM

? Anytime, anywhere you use a copyright protected logo, etc., there's
money being paid, usually by the entity using it, not the owners.

Nothing new, been that way for decades.

Don Wilshe December 15th 04 10:53 PM

Yep and this service was performed for them by www.games-advertising.com
Matter of fact the #10 Ratbag car was built and raced on the bristol on
dirt.
Driver was Tyler Walker..

Don Wilshe

Don Wilshe December 15th 04 10:54 PM

wrong.. but thats ok.. tracks, drivers and associations can be had for
free if you
just ask enough

don wilshe

JP December 15th 04 11:02 PM

Not in movies, which is what was mentioned in the post.

Hehe, but then, you'd know all about ways of doing things that most
people can't, eh ?

m...

Asgeir Nesoen December 16th 04 08:21 AM

I don't mind about games containing only fake logos and "Coventries" if
the game programmers make it excessibly easy to substitute the fakes
with the real thing.

GPL was the prime example in this, how long took it to produce the
correct logos, images and names for the on-line community? A month?

I do in fact believe that this is the only way to screw the lawyers:
Produce games, put every development cost into the game itself, don't
mind about rights AT ALL, never use ANY logo or name found in RL, and
let people do whatever they like about the authenticity.

---Asgeir---

Byron Forbes December 16th 04 02:46 PM

"Asgeir Nesoen" > wrote in message

> I do in fact believe that this is the only way to screw the lawyers:
> Produce games, put every development cost into the game itself, don't
> mind about rights AT ALL, never use ANY logo or name found in RL, and
> let people do whatever they like about the authenticity.

Exactly.

Mark Davison December 16th 04 09:33 PM

"Byron Forbes" > wrote in message

> Is that right? It seems some mentally rot before their body does my
> mere
> mortal friend!

A mere mortal I am, and totally comfortable with it. You?

It's cool that you have such a high opinion of yourself. No-one else does,
right? And that's because no-one else understands how complex you are?
You're on an intellectually higher plain and people just can't deal with
that. That's it, isn't it. That *must* be it. Why else wouldn't anyone
want to be your friend?

Plowboy2 December 17th 04 03:55 PM

BS Jp, In the movies, example- Coke pays to have the "characters" drink
them... same with cars, any merchandise, everything.
JP enlightened us with:

Plowboy2 December 17th 04 03:58 PM

Exactly... because at some point say a big company MIGHT want to place
their product in the product/game. at that point Just like the movies, if
programmers/publishers dont cut off their noses so to speak, would make it a
lot easier to get some projects going...

Byron Forbes enlightened us with:

JP December 17th 04 03:59 PM

BS Plowboy. Yep, characters get paid to use the product. Any the owning
movie company, etc. pays Coke, etc. for that. Thats why many times you'll
see a carton of, say, milk, and instead of some brand name, it'll say "Milk"
on it i.e.
Company X didn't want to play the game in that case.

Byron Forbes December 17th 04 06:02 PM

"Mark Davison" > wrote in message

> "Byron Forbes" > wrote in message

> > Is that right? It seems some mentally rot before their body does my
> > mere
> > mortal friend!

> A mere mortal I am, and totally comfortable with it. You?

Are you now? So who do you know that's died b4 and told you all about
it?

> It's cool that you have such a high opinion of yourself. No-one else

does,
> right? And that's because no-one else understands how complex you are?
> You're on an intellectually higher plain and people just can't deal with
> that. That's it, isn't it. That *must* be it. Why else wouldn't anyone
> want to be your friend?

Yep, you're really catching on now! Now if I can just straighten you out
on this mortality nonsense.

Mark Davison December 17th 04 07:46 PM

"Byron Forbes" > wrote in message

> "Mark Davison" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Byron Forbes" > wrote in message

>> > Is that right? It seems some mentally rot before their body does my
>> > mere
>> > mortal friend!

>> A mere mortal I am, and totally comfortable with it. You?
>>

> Are you now? So who do you know that's died b4 and told you all about
> it?

No-one - that's my point. When people die it's game over. I have no
problem with the fact that I cease to be when I die.

> Yep, you're really catching on now! Now if I can just straighten you
> out
> on this mortality nonsense.

Try.

Nigel Nichols December 17th 04 10:06 PM

These corps are powerless except when people buy their products. We buy
their inferior products which gives them the money to screw others.
Simple as that.

They can be beaten but only if folks do it in numbers.
Nigel

--
oups.com...

David Ciemny December 18th 04 01:37 PM

"Indy" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/sport...ory?id=1945691
>
> EA ruined NASCAR racing by getting exclusive rights, now they're going
> to do the same to football. What kills me is that these corporations
> (NASCAR, NFL, PGA, FIFA, ....) let this happen. I know, it's all about
> money, and obviously EA has enough to kill their competition, even if
> they make an inferior product.
>
> I'm done with EA.

not to mention they seem to have a nice little sweat shop going .

DC

Byron Forbes December 18th 04 07:43 PM

"Mark Davison" > wrote in message

> No-one - that's my point. When people die it's game over. I have no
> problem with the fact that I cease to be when I die.

Clearly, listening to others and understanding what's being said is not
a strong point for you - let's try again.

You claim to know death = game over/cease to be. If you have not died b4
and know no one that has, then how do you know what death is? This is one of
the many things you *think* you *know*.

David Ciemny December 18th 04 10:44 PM

"David Ciemny" > wrote in message

> "Indy" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/sport...ory?id=1945691
> >
> > EA ruined NASCAR racing by getting exclusive rights, now they're going
> > to do the same to football. What kills me is that these corporations
> > (NASCAR, NFL, PGA, FIFA, ....) let this happen. I know, it's all about
> > money, and obviously EA has enough to kill their competition, even if
> > they make an inferior product.
> >
> > I'm done with EA.
> >

> not to mention they seem to have a nice little sweat shop going .
>
> DC

oops...forgot the article sorry...

http://www.artvoice.com/archive/v3n50/v3n50.pdf

DC

Mark Davison December 19th 04 07:58 PM

"Byron Forbes" > wrote in message

> "Mark Davison" > wrote in message
>>

>> No-one - that's my point. When people die it's game over. I have no
>> problem with the fact that I cease to be when I die.
>>

> Clearly, listening to others and understanding what's being said is not
> a strong point for you - let's try again.
>
> You claim to know death = game over/cease to be. If you have not died
> b4
> and know no one that has, then how do you know what death is? This is one
> of
> the many things you *think* you *know*.

I know (knew) people who have died. They died and they didn't come back.

I understood your question perfectly - you said:
"So who do you know that's died b4 and told you all about it?"

And I replied as above.

I know no-one and know *of* no-one who's died and come back. Never met a
ghost, never seen evidence of ghosts. Therefore I believe death is the end.

Clear now?

Give me evidence otherwise and I'll take it into consideration - faith
doesn't do it for me.

How about you? Believe in the bogeyman?

Byron Forbes December 20th 04 02:39 PM

"Mark Davison" > wrote in message

> "Byron Forbes" > wrote in message

> > "Mark Davison" > wrote in message
> >>

> >> No-one - that's my point. When people die it's game over. I have no
> >> problem with the fact that I cease to be when I die.
> >>

> > Clearly, listening to others and understanding what's being said is

not
> > a strong point for you - let's try again.
> >
> > You claim to know death = game over/cease to be. If you have not died
> > b4
> > and know no one that has, then how do you know what death is? This is

one
> > of
> > the many things you *think* you *know*.

> I know (knew) people who have died. They died and they didn't come back.
>
> I understood your question perfectly - you said:
> "So who do you know that's died b4 and told you all about it?"
>
> And I replied as above.
>
> I know no-one and know *of* no-one who's died and come back. Never met a
> ghost, never seen evidence of ghosts. Therefore I believe death is the

end.

That's better - now you admit to being a mere beleiver!

> Clear now?

Your stating a mere beleif as a fact was always clear to me.

> Give me evidence otherwise and I'll take it into consideration - faith
> doesn't do it for me.

What rubbish! Wtf has "faith" got to do with it? So you can be a
christian or an athiest only? No other possibilities? Don't the gods love
their little christian slaves and there zombie athiests who *beleive* they
are alone in the universe - so easy to control those who think the only one
contrlling their thoughts and actions is them! And just as easy to blame
them for them too therefore!

Anyway, want proof?

I could tell you about my knowledge of gods but they'd easily be able to
make you "beleive" I was insane (of course, you'd *think* you *knew* I was
insane).

Anyway, look at the anatomy of the human body (or that of any animal for
that matter) and ask yourself a simple question - is this the fluke we call
life or is this clearly the design of other beings?

> How about you? Believe in the bogeyman?

No need to beleive in that sonny - I'm aware of the existence of far
worse and more mind bending things.

Mark Davison December 20th 04 07:37 PM

"Byron Forbes" > wrote in message

> "Mark Davison" > wrote in message
> Your stating a mere beleif as a fact was always clear to me.

I believe it to be fact :)

>> Give me evidence otherwise and I'll take it into consideration - faith
>> doesn't do it for me.
>>

> What rubbish! Wtf has "faith" got to do with it? So you can be a
> christian or an athiest only? No other possibilities? Don't the gods love
> their little christian slaves and there zombie athiests who *beleive* they
> are alone in the universe - so easy to control those who think the only
> one
> contrlling their thoughts and actions is them! And just as easy to blame
> them for them too therefore!

Is Christianity the only religion that requires faith? Anything that
doesn't require fact requires faith. Muslim, Budhist, Christian, whatever.

> Anyway, want proof?
>
> I could tell you about my knowledge of gods but they'd easily be able
> make you "beleive" I was insane (of course, you'd *think* you *knew* I was
> insane).

If you have proof of course I wouldn't think you insane. You *know* the
Gods? Introduce me.

> Anyway, look at the anatomy of the human body (or that of any animal
> for
> that matter) and ask yourself a simple question - is this the fluke we
> call
> life or is this clearly the design of other beings?

Fluke.

>> How about you? Believe in the bogeyman?
>>

> No need to beleive in that sonny - I'm aware of the existence of far
> worse and more mind bending things.

And what made you aware of these things, dad?

Pez December 21st 04 11:33 PM

But in todays world licensing is handled centrally to ease the process of
incorporating series sponsors into series merchandise?

Gone are the days when everything that was trademark had to be acquired
seperately. Now its in the NASCAR contract.

pez