AutoBanter

-   VW air cooled (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Syncronizing dual carbs (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=44696)

bud682 September 30th 05 01:42 PM

Syncronizing dual carbs

Is there an easy way to do this? I have never done mine. What happens
when they are out of sync? My car is running really bad and suspect
the right carb is out of shape.

--
bud682
bud682's Profile: http://www.usenetcars.com/member.php?userid=5276

Joey Tribiani September 30th 05 04:31 PM

http://aircooled.net/gnrlsite/resour...s/dualcarb.htm

[email protected] September 30th 05 05:02 PM

When they are out of sync, one side of your engine
will run hot. The head will over-heat and crack or
drop a valve seat. Heat and gas mileage will get
worse.

bud682 September 30th 05 11:20 PM

Thanks to all.

Lorem Ipsum October 1st 05 12:26 AM

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> When they are out of sync, one side of your engine
> will run hot. The head will over-heat and crack or
> drop a valve seat. Heat and gas mileage will get
> worse.

Wanna bet? Put some real money down.

Hal October 1st 05 03:15 AM

"Is there an easy way to do this? I have never done mine. What
happens
when they are out of sync? My car is running really bad and suspect
the right carb is out of shape."

There is an easy way but it involves using a syncrometer. Basically an
airflow meter that you place over the top of the carburetor throat, and
you adjust the carbs so that they both flow the same amount of air at
idle.

The most crucial part is getting your linkage -perfect-. You want both
carbs to open at -exactly- the same time. If you just barely touch the
throttle and the engine begins to run rough, there is a good chance
that one of the carbs is either out of adjustment as far as mixture
goes, or the linkage is not opening them both at the exactly same time.
When I had dual webber 40's I would loosen up the linkage locknuts, set
the idle stops so that both carbs flowed the same fully closed, and
then lock one of the linkage arms in position and turn the other one
until it the other carb just BARELY started to move off the stop, then
bump it back just a hair. That should get you close enough to make it
run sweet. It usually took me a few tries and about 20 minutes to get
it perfect.

Good luck with it.

Chris