AutoBanter

-   Dodge (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   '96 Caravan blower issue (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=227718)

[email protected] January 25th 08 01:56 AM

'96 Caravan blower issue

I have a '96 Caravan, when we turn on the heater (this just started, not
sure if it's doing this with AC yet), it will only blow if it's turned full
blast on the blower. All or nothing. I was told that this may have something
to do with the cold (it's been fairly bitter cold here the last couple
weeks, temps in the teens), but I'm not completely satisfied with this
explanation. Any ideas?

aarcuda69062 January 25th 08 02:14 AM

'96 Caravan blower issue

In article >,
wrote:

> I have a '96 Caravan, when we turn on the heater (this just started, not
> sure if it's doing this with AC yet), it will only blow if it's turned full
> blast on the blower. All or nothing. I was told that this may have something
> to do with the cold (it's been fairly bitter cold here the last couple
> weeks, temps in the teens), but I'm not completely satisfied with this
> explanation. Any ideas?

You need a new blower motor resistor.

Ripcord January 25th 08 03:00 AM

'96 Caravan blower issue

> wrote in message
>I have a '96 Caravan, when we turn on the heater (this just started, not
> sure if it's doing this with AC yet), it will only blow if it's turned
> full
> blast on the blower. All or nothing. I was told that this may have
> something
> to do with the cold (it's been fairly bitter cold here the last couple
> weeks, temps in the teens), but I'm not completely satisfied with this
> explanation. Any ideas?

It could be the damper door is not opening. When the blower is off the
damper will close. If you hear the blower and not getting any air it could
be the damper door electric motor.

daytripper January 25th 08 04:14 AM

'96 Caravan blower issue

On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 19:14:30 -0600, aarcuda69062 >
wrote:

>In article >,
> wrote:
>
>> I have a '96 Caravan, when we turn on the heater (this just started, not
>> sure if it's doing this with AC yet), it will only blow if it's turned full
>> blast on the blower. All or nothing. I was told that this may have something
>> to do with the cold (it's been fairly bitter cold here the last couple
>> weeks, temps in the teens), but I'm not completely satisfied with this
>> explanation. Any ideas?

>You need a new blower motor resistor.

I concur, that's a distinctive failure mode that's a dead giveaway...

Larry Crites January 25th 08 07:39 AM

'96 Caravan blower issue

And if you replace it and it goes out again you need a new blower motor.

Larry

"aarcuda69062" > wrote in message
: In article >,
:

maxpower January 25th 08 08:51 PM

'96 Caravan blower issue

"Ripcord" > wrote in message
. ..

> > wrote in message
> >I have a '96 Caravan, when we turn on the heater (this just started, not
> > sure if it's doing this with AC yet), it will only blow if it's turned
> > full
> > blast on the blower. All or nothing. I was told that this may have
> > something
> > to do with the cold (it's been fairly bitter cold here the last couple
> > weeks, temps in the teens), but I'm not completely satisfied with this
> > explanation. Any ideas?

> It could be the damper door is not opening. When the blower is off the
> damper will close. If you hear the blower and not getting any air it could
> be the damper door electric motor.

The doors have nothing to do with blower motor speed. If you don't have the
first 3 speeds and have high, replace the resistor as stated above

Glenn Beasley
Chrysler Tech

aarcuda69062 January 26th 08 12:44 AM

'96 Caravan blower issue

In article >,
"Larry Crites" > wrote:

> And if you replace it and it goes out again you need a new blower motor.
>
> Larry

Failed blower motors tend to not work well at high speed.
Not what the OP described.

daytripper January 26th 08 02:13 AM

'96 Caravan blower issue

On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 17:44:42 -0600, aarcuda69062 >
wrote:

>In article >,
> "Larry Crites" > wrote:
>
>> And if you replace it and it goes out again you need a new blower motor.
>>
>> Larry

>Failed blower motors tend to not work well at high speed.
>Not what the OP described.

Think.

What Max is saying is the thing that can croak the resistor module is a
failing blower motor. For instance, if one of the armature windings is
shorted...

[email protected] January 26th 08 02:15 AM

'96 Caravan blower issue

2 questions

Should I assume that this is a dealer part?

How easy is this to replace myself?

Thanks.

Dan C January 26th 08 04:11 AM

'96 Caravan blower issue

On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 01:15:58 +0000, no wrote:

> 2 questions
>
> Should I assume that this is a dealer part?

No.

> How easy is this to replace myself?

Easy.

> Thanks.