chipping around or anything, but it is silver (looks ugly, if you spot it).
Anyone know if this is touch-up-able? If so, how does one do that? I was
thinking some metal paint, but will that stand up to road wear-tear?

Spike May 1st 05 04:54 AM

Well, thinking about the paint used on brakes, and similar areas,
seems like it should, but you'd thing maybe there is a better way.
Any shops in your area that do powder coating? I'm in a pretty rural
area and there are a couple here (one only does powder coat, from
stripping to....). Just a thought you might explore.

On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 23:35:55 -0400, <japhar81> wrote:

>Have the chance to pick up some powdercoated 18x10.5" wheels for pennies on
>the dollar ($600 total for a set of 4, with rubber). Only catch is, the guy
>scraped a curb, and theres a pea-sized chip in the powdercoat. Its not
>chipping around or anything, but it is silver (looks ugly, if you spot it).
>Anyone know if this is touch-up-able? If so, how does one do that? I was
>thinking some metal paint, but will that stand up to road wear-tear?

Hey! Spikey Likes IT!
Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior
Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8"
w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16

May 1st 05 05:30 AM

Ill check, but I always heard that powdercoat itself cant be touched up, its
all or nothing, i.e. strip and redo.

I'll check it out...

Spike May 1st 05 08:08 AM

I have no experience with it, so you may likely be right. I just
thought that a shop which works with it would be the people to talk
to.

On Sun, 1 May 2005 00:30:42 -0400, <japhar81> wrote:

>Ill check, but I always heard that powdercoat itself cant be touched up, its
>all or nothing, i.e. strip and redo.
>
>I'll check it out...

.. .

.boB May 1st 05 04:55 PM

japhar81 wrote:
> Have the chance to pick up some powdercoated 18x10.5" wheels for pennies on
> the dollar ($600 total for a set of 4, with rubber). Only catch is, the guy
> scraped a curb, and theres a pea-sized chip in the powdercoat. Its not
> chipping around or anything, but it is silver (looks ugly, if you spot it).
> Anyone know if this is touch-up-able? If so, how does one do that? I was
> thinking some metal paint, but will that stand up to road wear-tear?

Yes, it's as easy to touch up as paint. The trick
is trying to find a paint that matches. Just clean it
well, and use the little brush bottle.
Once applied, PC looks just like paint. It will
chip and scrape off like paint does, just a whole lot
tougher to do.

--
..boB
1997 HD FXDWG - Turbocharged!

[email protected] May 3rd 05 01:00 AM

I'd be more concerned that the rim was straight after a curb hit. I
dunno about you, but I like my rims as close to perfect when I am doing
100+...

Spike wrote:

> Well, thinking about the paint used on brakes, and similar areas,
> seems like it should, but you'd thing maybe there is a better way.
> Any shops in your area that do powder coating? I'm in a pretty rural
> area and there are a couple here (one only does powder coat, from
> stripping to....). Just a thought you might explore.
>
> On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 23:35:55 -0400, <japhar81> wrote:
>

>>Have the chance to pick up some powdercoated 18x10.5" wheels for pennies on
>>the dollar ($600 total for a set of 4, with rubber). Only catch is, the guy
>>scraped a curb, and theres a pea-sized chip in the powdercoat. Its not
>>chipping around or anything, but it is silver (looks ugly, if you spot it).
>>Anyone know if this is touch-up-able? If so, how does one do that? I was
>>thinking some metal paint, but will that stand up to road wear-tear?
>>

> Hey! Spikey Likes IT!
> 1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok
> Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior
> Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8"
> w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16

May 3rd 05 03:24 AM

I checked... He literally tapped it backing up. Its pea-sized, and didnt
even scratch the metal. Just tore the powdercoat off.