AutoBanter

-   Chrysler (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   96 Caravan heater blower switch (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=8854)

Morgan Perrry November 19th 04 03:19 AM

96 Caravan heater blower switch

I've got a 96 Caravan. The blower motor for the heater/air conditioning
works fine, but recently, the switch seems to have gone wonky. The blower
motor will only come on if you turn the switch all the way up to the max.
The lower speeds don't work at all.

Could this be just the switch?

Are there any relays or fuses I should check first?

Thanks.

damnnickname November 19th 04 10:37 AM

The heater resistor block is bad, the default is hi blower all the time,
its easy to replace, 2 8mm screws under the glove box,

damnnickname November 19th 04 10:37 AM

Mike November 19th 04 12:52 PM

Are you sure about under the glove box. My 96 Caravan has the resistor
accessed/mounted under the hood, passenger side firewall, just inboard of
the shock tower top. A little hard to see and get to, but not impossible.
It was a simple change, and definitely the problem for a high only blower
motor.

lkaboutautos.com...

Mike November 19th 04 12:52 PM

Kirk Matheson November 19th 04 03:55 PM

"Morgan Perrry" <mptran @ istop.com> wrote in message >...
> I've got a 96 Caravan. The blower motor for the heater/air conditioning
> works fine, but recently, the switch seems to have gone wonky. The blower
> motor will only come on if you turn the switch all the way up to the max.
> The lower speeds don't work at all.
>
> Could this be just the switch?
>
> Are there any relays or fuses I should check first?
>
> Thanks.

From your description, the resistor that drops the voltage for the
lower speeds is burned out. I don't know where it is located on that
model. Sometimes the resistor is located behind the switch. On other
models, it mounts in the on the heater core/evaporator enclosure. The
resistor usually looks like a coiled spring.

-Kirk Matheson

Kirk Matheson November 19th 04 03:55 PM

"Morgan Perrry" <mptran @ istop.com> wrote in message >...
> I've got a 96 Caravan. The blower motor for the heater/air conditioning
> works fine, but recently, the switch seems to have gone wonky. The blower
> motor will only come on if you turn the switch all the way up to the max.
> The lower speeds don't work at all.
>
> Could this be just the switch?
>
> Are there any relays or fuses I should check first?
>
> Thanks.

From your description, the resistor that drops the voltage for the

maxpower November 19th 04 06:41 PM

You are absolutely correct, I stand corrected Mike, i think i posted that at
5am this morning when I got into the shop, didnt have my coffee yet, O this
name i use now is for my outlook express Newsgroup here at home, I am also
Damnnickname

maxpower November 19th 04 06:41 PM

[email protected] November 20th 04 02:50 AM

Bet the connector is melted and fuzed to the resister.

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 07:52:51 -0500, "Mike"
> wrote:

>Are you sure about under the glove box. My 96 Caravan has the resistor
>accessed/mounted under the hood, passenger side firewall, just inboard of
>the shock tower top. A little hard to see and get to, but not impossible.
>It was a simple change, and definitely the problem for a high only blower
>motor.

alkaboutautos.com...