AutoBanter

-   Dodge (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   '96 Caravan blower issue (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=227718)

daytripper February 1st 08 03:39 AM

'96 Caravan blower issue

On Fri, 01 Feb 2008 01:40:56 GMT, wrote:

>I jumped the gun on this call, apparently. Symptoms have resumed. Is the
>blower motor next on the list?

Yup, that would be next in the logical progression, as was previously
mentioned here...

clare at snyder.on.ca February 5th 08 01:57 AM

'96 Caravan blower issue

On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 22:39:59 -0500, daytripper
> wrote:

>On Fri, 01 Feb 2008 01:40:56 GMT, wrote:
>
>>I jumped the gun on this call, apparently. Symptoms have resumed. Is the
>>blower motor next on the list?

>Yup, that would be next in the logical progression, as was previously
>mentioned here...

But also be sure the blower housing isn't getting filled with moisture
and "freezing" which will also burn out the resistors - very good idea
to leave the vehicle parked with the blower on HIGH, which takes the
somewhat fragile resistor pack out of the equation.
Not very likely to be a shorted armature either. More likely sticky
bearings

clare at snyder.on.ca February 6th 08 02:34 AM

'96 Caravan blower issue

On Mon, 04 Feb 2008 20:57:22 -0500, clare at snyder.on.ca wrote:

>On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 22:39:59 -0500, daytripper
> wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 01 Feb 2008 01:40:56 GMT, wrote:
>>
>>>I jumped the gun on this call, apparently. Symptoms have resumed. Is the
>>>blower motor next on the list?

>>Yup, that would be next in the logical progression, as was previously
>>mentioned here...

>But also be sure the blower housing isn't getting filled with moisture
>and "freezing" which will also burn out the resistors - very good idea
>to leave the vehicle parked with the blower on HIGH, which takes the
>somewhat fragile resistor pack out of the equation.
>Not very likely to be a shorted armature either. More likely sticky
>bearings

Just thought of another "issue".
If the air inlet is plugged and the fan is on other than high speed,
there is insufficient airflow past the resistor pack to keep it cool,
so it is more likely to burn out.

Again, the SAFE way is to ALWAYS start with the fan on high. It does
more for your defrost that way anyway, so why not??