AutoBanter

-   Driving (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Rearview Mirror query (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=174539)

Pete[_11_] July 15th 07 04:29 PM

Rearview Mirror query

Probably a daft question I know but.....

Is there a knack to getting the mirror back on? My son has managed to pull
it off. When I'm pushing it back on, it's taking more force than I dare use
in fear of cracking the windscreen!! Is there a trick to be had, or should
I just go for it?!!

DogPoop \(mobile\) July 15th 07 04:33 PM

Rearview Mirror query

Pete > farted out
> Probably a daft question I know but.....
>
> Is there a knack to getting the mirror back on? My son has managed
> to pull it off. When I'm pushing it back on, it's taking more force
> than I dare use in fear of cracking the windscreen!! Is there a
> trick to be had, or should I just go for it?!!

Buy a new adhesive pad, but make sure you get it the right way round .......
one side is for the window, the other isn't. :)

--
Dog Poop

Stand by me,

Murderous Speeding Drunken Distracted Driver (Hector Goldstein) July 15th 07 04:38 PM

Rearview Mirror query

Pete wrote:
>Probably a daft question I know but.....
>
>Is there a knack to getting the mirror back on? My son has managed to pull
>it off. When I'm pushing it back on, it's taking more force than I dare use
>in fear of cracking the windscreen!! Is there a trick to be had, or should
>I just go for it?!!

Surrender your license immediately; this might prove critical for your
son's survival.

Unless you've got some form of atypical rear view mirror system,
fixing this problem should be one of the most trivial operations
you'll perform on your vehicle.

--

We're all here
because we're not all there.

Tommy[_13_] July 15th 07 05:03 PM

Rearview Mirror query

Murderous Speeding Drunken Distracted Driver (Hector Goldstein) wrote:
> Pete wrote:
>> Probably a daft question I know but.....
>>
>> Is there a knack to getting the mirror back on? My son has managed
>> to pull it off. When I'm pushing it back on, it's taking more force
>> than I dare use in fear of cracking the windscreen!! Is there a
>> trick to be had, or should I just go for it?!!

surface has to be "proper" clean and then a fast acting and very strong glue

Pete[_11_] July 15th 07 05:17 PM

Rearview Mirror query

"Murderous Speeding Drunken Distracted Driver (Hector Goldstein)"
> wrote in message
> Pete wrote:
>>Probably a daft question I know but.....
>>
>>Is there a knack to getting the mirror back on? My son has managed to
>>pull
>>it off. When I'm pushing it back on, it's taking more force than I dare
>>use
>>in fear of cracking the windscreen!! Is there a trick to be had, or
>>should
>>I just go for it?!!

> Surrender your license immediately; this might prove critical for your
> son's survival.
>
> Unless you've got some form of atypical rear view mirror system,
> fixing this problem should be one of the most trivial operations
> you'll perform on your vehicle.

Forgot to mention, it's not the whole thing that's come off - just the
mirror itself where it clips onto the ball of the part that's stuck to the
windscreen.

The part that's stuck to the windscreen is stuck solid, so I was dubious
whether I'd make things worse by forcing it off. That was why I was trying
to 'tease' the mirror back onto the ball joint, but like I said, it's just
not having it.

Murderous Speeding Drunken Distracted Driver (Hector Goldstein) July 15th 07 05:27 PM

Rearview Mirror query

Pete wrote:

>"Murderous Speeding Drunken Distracted Driver (Hector Goldstein)"
> wrote in message
.. .
>> Pete wrote:
>>>Probably a daft question I know but.....
>>>
>>>Is there a knack to getting the mirror back on? My son has managed to
>>>pull
>>>it off. When I'm pushing it back on, it's taking more force than I dare
>>>use
>>>in fear of cracking the windscreen!! Is there a trick to be had, or
>>>should
>>>I just go for it?!!

>> Surrender your license immediately; this might prove critical for your
>> son's survival.
>>
>> Unless you've got some form of atypical rear view mirror system,
>> fixing this problem should be one of the most trivial operations
>> you'll perform on your vehicle.

>Forgot to mention, it's not the whole thing that's come off - just the
>mirror itself where it clips onto the ball of the part that's stuck to the
>windscreen.
>
>The part that's stuck to the windscreen is stuck solid, so I was dubious
>whether I'd make things worse by forcing it off. That was why I was trying
>to 'tease' the mirror back onto the ball joint, but like I said, it's just
>not having it.

Ah, yeah, that's going to require so much force.

Most of the time, the bracket slides off the mounting base glued to
the windshield; you might need a phillips head to loosen a screw.
Remove the mounting pillar from the base and apply force against the
ground, using a block of wood to reduce damage. Then reattach to the
base.

--

We're all here
because we're not all there.

bernard farquart July 15th 07 06:51 PM

Rearview Mirror query

"Murderous Speeding Drunken Distracted Driver (Hector Goldstein)"
> wrote in message
> Pete wrote:
>>

>>"Murderous Speeding Drunken Distracted Driver (Hector Goldstein)"
> wrote in message
. ..
>>> Pete wrote:

>>Forgot to mention, it's not the whole thing that's come off - just the
>>mirror itself where it clips onto the ball of the part that's stuck to the
>>windscreen.
>>
>>The part that's stuck to the windscreen is stuck solid, so I was dubious
>>whether I'd make things worse by forcing it off. That was why I was
>>trying
>>to 'tease' the mirror back onto the ball joint, but like I said, it's just
>>not having it.

> Ah, yeah, that's going to require so much force.
>
> Most of the time, the bracket slides off the mounting base glued to
> the windshield; you might need a phillips head to loosen a screw.
> Remove the mounting pillar from the base and apply force against the
> ground, using a block of wood to reduce damage. Then reattach to the
> base.

The cost of a replacement mirror is in the ten dollar range.

Why would you be screwing around with repairing?

Take the stub off of the windshield, there is a set screw usually
(either phillips or allen)

Get a replacement mirror for ten dollars.

Get actual rear view mirror adhesive (super glue will not work)

mount mirror above, below or next to old button
(it is NOT coming off without a piece of your windshield)
(and it will probably be a different shape than the new mirror)

If your old mirror came apart at the joint, the joint is now
too loose for the mirror to work properly anyhow.

Bernard

(I sell alot of these at the parts store)

Murderous Speeding Drunken Distracted Driver (Hector Goldstein) July 15th 07 07:03 PM

Rearview Mirror query

bernard farquart wrote:

>"Murderous Speeding Drunken Distracted Driver (Hector Goldstein)"
> wrote in message
.. .
>> Pete wrote:

>>>Forgot to mention, it's not the whole thing that's come off - just the
>>>mirror itself where it clips onto the ball of the part that's stuck to the
>>>windscreen.
>>>
>>>The part that's stuck to the windscreen is stuck solid, so I was dubious
>>>whether I'd make things worse by forcing it off. That was why I was
>>>trying
>>>to 'tease' the mirror back onto the ball joint, but like I said, it's just
>>>not having it.

>> Ah, yeah, that's going to require so much force.
>>
>> Most of the time, the bracket slides off the mounting base glued to
>> the windshield; you might need a phillips head to loosen a screw.
>> Remove the mounting pillar from the base and apply force against the
>> ground, using a block of wood to reduce damage. Then reattach to the
>> base.
>>

>The cost of a replacement mirror is in the ten dollar range.

I know.

>Why would you be screwing around with repairing?

Perhaps it might be more convenient to repair the thing than it would
be to make a trip to purchase the part to replaced it?

>Take the stub off of the windshield, there is a set screw usually
>(either phillips or allen)
>
>Get a replacement mirror for ten dollars.
>
>Get actual rear view mirror adhesive (super glue will not work)

True, or if it does, not for very long. :-)

Nate Nagel[_2_] July 15th 07 07:03 PM

Rearview Mirror query

bernard farquart wrote:
> "Murderous Speeding Drunken Distracted Driver (Hector Goldstein)"
> > wrote in message
>
>>Pete wrote:

>>>Forgot to mention, it's not the whole thing that's come off - just the
>>>mirror itself where it clips onto the ball of the part that's stuck to the
>>>windscreen.
>>>
>>>The part that's stuck to the windscreen is stuck solid, so I was dubious
>>>whether I'd make things worse by forcing it off. That was why I was
>>>trying
>>>to 'tease' the mirror back onto the ball joint, but like I said, it's just
>>>not having it.

>>Ah, yeah, that's going to require so much force.
>>
>>Most of the time, the bracket slides off the mounting base glued to
>>the windshield; you might need a phillips head to loosen a screw.
>>Remove the mounting pillar from the base and apply force against the
>>ground, using a block of wood to reduce damage. Then reattach to the
>>base.
>>

> The cost of a replacement mirror is in the ten dollar range.
>
> Why would you be screwing around with repairing?
>
> Take the stub off of the windshield, there is a set screw usually
> (either phillips or allen)
>
> Get a replacement mirror for ten dollars.
>
> Get actual rear view mirror adhesive (super glue will not work)
>
> mount mirror above, below or next to old button
> (it is NOT coming off without a piece of your windshield)
> (and it will probably be a different shape than the new mirror)
>
> If your old mirror came apart at the joint, the joint is now
> too loose for the mirror to work properly anyhow.
>
> Bernard
>
> (I sell alot of these at the parts store)

yeah, what he said. Newer gm's use a torx screw to hold them on but
Bernard's other comments are still valid. If you're real
chea^H^H^H^Hfrugal, go to your local auto recycling emporium (aka
"junkyard") and unless you have one of those multi-function mirrors with
compass, thermometer, etc. built in you should be able to score a
serviceable replacement for $5 or less. Or check fleaBay if you live in
an area like I do where there's no junkyards in economical driving distance.

good luck

nate

(wish I had a junkyard around here...)

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Murderous Speeding Drunken Distracted Driver (Hector Goldstein) July 15th 07 07:16 PM

Rearview Mirror query

Nate Nagel wrote:
>yeah, what he said. Newer gm's use a torx screw to hold them on but
>Bernard's other comments are still valid. If you're real
>chea^H^H^H^Hfrugal, go to your local auto recycling emporium (aka
>"junkyard") and unless you have one of those multi-function mirrors with
>compass, thermometer, etc. built in you should be able to score a
>serviceable replacement for $5 or less. Or check fleaBay if you live in
>an area like I do where there's no junkyards in economical driving distance.
>
>good luck
>
>nate
>
>(wish I had a junkyard around here...)

I wish I could send you some of ours. In fact, a lot of people
indigenous to the region like junk yards so much, they start them in
their yards.

--

We're all here
because we're not all there.