AutoBanter

-   Technology (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   brake lines: mix US and metric? (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=334436)

George[_23_] August 4th 09 03:57 AM

brake lines: mix US and metric?

Our '99 Cavalier had a rotten rear brake line. So, I cut it back to
good metal, flared the end, and replaced the pipe with some 3/16" stuff
I had. I got to the axle end, and it suddenly occurred to me that it's
probably METRIC. And, on closer inspection, it appears to need a 'DIN
flare' to mate with the axle hose. So, ...

It looks like I can just use one section of 'metric' tubing, to mate
with the axle hose, and cut the other end off, and put a regular (SAE)
flare there, to mate with the 3/16" tubing I've installed.

Yes?

Thanks,

Steve W.[_6_] August 4th 09 03:16 PM

George wrote:
> Our '99 Cavalier had a rotten rear brake line. So, I cut it back to
> good metal, flared the end, and replaced the pipe with some 3/16" stuff
> I had. I got to the axle end, and it suddenly occurred to me that it's
> probably METRIC. And, on closer inspection, it appears to need a 'DIN
> flare' to mate with the axle hose. So, ...
>
> It looks like I can just use one section of 'metric' tubing, to mate
> with the axle hose, and cut the other end off, and put a regular (SAE)
> flare there, to mate with the 3/16" tubing I've installed.
>
> Yes?
>
> Thanks,

Most of the flares you will find will be SAE.
Most domestic made vehicles will have SAE threads.

When you find Metric threads you will usually also find bubble flares
instead of the standard double flare.

These items go out the window on a few models where a domestic maker
sourced the vehicle from a foreign company.

--
Steve W.

Tim Wescott August 4th 09 03:54 PM

On Mon, 03 Aug 2009 22:57:50 -0400, George wrote:

> Our '99 Cavalier had a rotten rear brake line. So, I cut it back to
> good metal, flared the end, and replaced the pipe with some 3/16" stuff
> I had. I got to the axle end, and it suddenly occurred to me that it's
> probably METRIC. And, on closer inspection, it appears to need a 'DIN
> flare' to mate with the axle hose. So, ...
>
> It looks like I can just use one section of 'metric' tubing, to mate
> with the axle hose, and cut the other end off, and put a regular (SAE)
> flare there, to mate with the 3/16" tubing I've installed.

Yes, but I'd hardly be eager to pinch pennies on essential safety items.
How much of a bitch is it to replace it end-to-end?

--
www.wescottdesign.com

BobJ August 4th 09 06:50 PM

George wrote:
> Our '99 Cavalier had a rotten rear brake line. So, I cut it back to
> good metal, flared the end, and replaced the pipe with some 3/16" stuff
> I had. I got to the axle end, and it suddenly occurred to me that it's
> probably METRIC. And, on closer inspection, it appears to need a 'DIN
> flare' to mate with the axle hose. So, ...
>
> It looks like I can just use one section of 'metric' tubing, to mate
> with the axle hose, and cut the other end off, and put a regular (SAE)
> flare there, to mate with the 3/16" tubing I've installed.
>
> Yes?
>
> Thanks,

NAPA 813-5512 12" sae to metric 3/16" about $10.00

George[_23_] August 5th 09 04:20 AM

On Tue, 04 Aug 2009 13:50:08 -0400, bobj > wrote:

>George wrote:
>> Our '99 Cavalier had a rotten rear brake line. So, I cut it back to
>> good metal, flared the end, and replaced the pipe with some 3/16" stuff
>> I had. I got to the axle end, and it suddenly occurred to me that it's
>> probably METRIC. And, on closer inspection, it appears to need a 'DIN
>> flare' to mate with the axle hose. So, ...
>>
>> It looks like I can just use one section of 'metric' tubing, to mate
>> with the axle hose, and cut the other end off, and put a regular (SAE)
>> flare there, to mate with the 3/16" tubing I've installed.
>>
>> Yes?
>>
>> Thanks,

>NAPA 813-5512 12" sae to metric 3/16" about $10.00

It turns out, they have an SAE to metric adapter, for $1.70. Better
than I'd hoped. Thanks to all.