AutoBanter

-   Technology (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Car Auto-Starter: Should I get it or not? (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=23310)

DinoSheep February 4th 05 07:55 PM

Car Auto-Starter: Should I get it or not?

Hi,

My car is Nissan Sentra SE-R. I'm thinking to get an auto-starter;
however, the key of my car has a security chip in it and the saleperson
told me that if I want to install an auto-starter, they would need to
break my key to get the chip out and installed in the auto-starter. Do
you think it is a good idea to do it? If the chip is taken out, does
it mean that the security feature is not there anymore?

Dino

N8N February 4th 05 08:02 PM

DinoSheep wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My car is Nissan Sentra SE-R. I'm thinking to get an auto-starter;
> however, the key of my car has a security chip in it and the

saleperson
> told me that if I want to install an auto-starter, they would need to
> break my key to get the chip out and installed in the auto-starter.

Do
> you think it is a good idea to do it? If the chip is taken out, does
> it mean that the security feature is not there anymore?
>
> Dino

yes. if you do the thing with the chip then all that is required to
start the car is a copy of your key, no chip required.

nate

[email protected] February 5th 05 12:13 AM

N8N wrote:
> DinoSheep wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > My car is Nissan Sentra SE-R. I'm thinking to get an auto-starter;
> > however, the key of my car has a security chip in it and the

> saleperson
> > told me that if I want to install an auto-starter, they would need

> > break my key to get the chip out and installed in the auto-starter.

> Do
> > you think it is a good idea to do it? If the chip is taken out,

does
> > it mean that the security feature is not there anymore?
> >
> > Dino

> yes. if you do the thing with the chip then all that is required to
> start the car is a copy of your key, no chip required.
>
> nate

A good remote start system can bypass the anti-theft system for remote
start, but still require the chipped key to start normally.. there
should be no reason to break the key to get the chip out.

Make sure to deal with a good installer/shop.

Jim

Ted Mittelstaedt February 5th 05 10:11 AM

"N8N" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> > you think it is a good idea to do it? If the chip is taken out, does
> > it mean that the security feature is not there anymore?
> >
> > Dino

> yes. if you do the thing with the chip then all that is required to
> start the car is a copy of your key, no chip required.

Heavens, then we might have to actually start using our car keys
the way that they used to start cars back in the olden days! Letssee,
when was that, about 2 years ago?

Or worse yet the starving auto dealerships might not be able
to get their $100+ dollars per copy of chipped key anymore,
how terrible!!

Ted

Bill the second February 5th 05 08:47 PM

"Ted Mittelstaedt" > wrote in message

> "N8N" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>>
>> > you think it is a good idea to do it? If the chip is taken out, does
>> > it mean that the security feature is not there anymore?
>> >
>> > Dino

>> yes. if you do the thing with the chip then all that is required to
>> start the car is a copy of your key, no chip required.
>>

> Heavens, then we might have to actually start using our car keys
> the way that they used to start cars back in the olden days! Letssee,
> when was that, about 2 years ago?

I use my chipped keys the same way as my non chipped keys. I stick them in
the ignition and turn in a clockwise motion.

> Or worse yet the starving auto dealerships might not be able
> to get their $100+ dollars per copy of chipped key anymore,
> how terrible!!

Fortunately it will make it easier for anyone too lazy to walk to just take
a screwdriver and a hammer to the ignition and take off with the car. And
some say kids these days need more exercise!

Bubba Kahuna (only 1 'J' in my address) February 7th 05 11:55 PM

DinoSheep wrote:

> Hi,
> <<snip>> ... the saleperson
> told me that if I want to install an auto-starter, they would need to
> break my key to get the chip out and installed in the auto-starter. Do
> you think it is a good idea to do it? If the chip is taken out, does
> it mean that the security feature is not there anymore?
>
> Dino

http://www.bulldogsecurity.com

I have one of these and it works great. You'll have to have the optional
security relay they sell (for more $$ of course) that lets you start the
car remotely, as well as buying one of their transponder keys. In any
case, all the Bulldogs (including the older ones) require the key in the
ignition to drive the car anyway. If you touch the brake (required to
shift from park to anything else) the car dies and won't start without
the key. You can't just start the car remotely and drive it under any
circumstances. They also have a 'pitstop' feature that lets you pull the
key from the ignition and leave the car running. Touch the brake before
the key's back in and turned to ON and it'll die. Handy for those quick
in-&-out convienience store holdups without worrying if your car will be
stolen while you're robbing the store ... oops ... did I use my out-loud
voice for that? ;)

Once you get one of these, you won't want another car without one.
They're real easy to get used to.

Cheers,
- Jeff G