AutoBanter

-   BMW (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   735i - Getting the fuel injectors out (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=47218)

BMW 1991 735i October 31st 05 12:55 AM

735i - Getting the fuel injectors out

I saw that someone had posted this question before but no answer was
posted (back in 2002). I want to re-address this question.

The Bentley manual says to remove the fuel injectors by "prying" up the
fuel rail. It says you should do this until both the fuel injectors and
the railing comes off as one unit. I've tried doing this and all I get
is the sound of plastic cracking. It seems like I am damaging the wire
harness casing that runs alongside the fuel rail. I'm probably also
damaging the part of the engine that I'm using in order to get leverage
to pull the injectors up. I read on another site that you shouldn't use
pliers or screwdrivers to get the injectors out because you will damage
them. My neighbor says that my injectors are probably rusted, but I see
no signs of that. How can you "safely" get these injectors out without
causing more damage to your engine?

Misterbeets October 31st 05 01:06 PM

735i - Getting the fuel injectors out

If it's similar to my e30, one possibility is to remove the rail first,
leaving the injectors in, which can then be removed individually. Or
you might try softening the o-rings in the manifold with a hot air gun,
or spraying them with WD 40.

Blake Dodson November 1st 05 02:24 PM

735i - Getting the fuel injectors out

Sounds like they are carboned in. I had to destroy mine to remove them.
So I gambled and bought Mustang injectors from 5-O motorsports and I am
very pleased.

The Mustang injectors are of a more modern pintle-less design and
slightly flow a little more than the original injectors. I think I paid
$240 USD or so. Anyway performance is better as is Milage.

B.D.

Josh Assing November 1st 05 11:09 PM

735i - Getting the fuel injectors out

what year 735i do you have?

That sounds like an inexpensive way to eek out a little more milage -- we've
already ruled out chipping the car, as that appears to only improve performance
at fuel economy's expense....

On 1 Nov 2005 06:24:49 -0800, "Blake Dodson" > wrote:

>Sounds like they are carboned in. I had to destroy mine to remove them.
>So I gambled and bought Mustang injectors from 5-O motorsports and I am
>very pleased.
>
>The Mustang injectors are of a more modern pintle-less design and
>slightly flow a little more than the original injectors. I think I paid
>$240 USD or so. Anyway performance is better as is Milage.
>
>B.D.

---
Remove x's to send.

Blake Dodson November 4th 05 01:58 PM