AutoBanter

-   Chrysler (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Drum brakes service on 2003 Dodge Stratus (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=373034)

greybuck March 1st 12 07:31 PM

Drum brakes service on 2003 Dodge Stratus

I need to replace the shoes on my 2003 Stratus that I got last year. I bought a subscription to Alldata, and it recommends removing the rear hubs, as it will *make the job a lot easier.*

Is this really necessary? I changed the shoes on my 2000 Chrysler Cirrus, and it was not bad having to work around the hub assembly. Are the hubs on the 2003 harder to work around? I have not taken it apart to look.

If I do remove the hubs, the nut holding it on, has to be torqued to 185 ft. lbs. I am guessing that I would need an extension on my torque wrench to be able to tighten it that much.

KM

rob March 3rd 12 01:01 PM

Drum brakes service on 2003 Dodge Stratus

try doing one side without removing the hub and judge the difficulty before
doing the other side.

a 3/4 drive torque wrench is best in these situations.