AutoBanter

-   Simulators (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   rF2 updating (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=373770)

Andrew MacPherson[_2_] June 7th 12 04:51 PM

rF2 updating

I've been pretty impressed by this in the past. But I've just spent an hour messing
about trying to get myself updated from whatever the last version was to whatever
the current version is and the end result was me rage-quitting and uninstalling the
whole thing. I just couldn't get the updated mod versions to be recognised.

When I calm down I will perhaps attempt to start from scratch again. If I can
remember my login details. I know I have them scribbled down somewhere.

Much though iRacing still bugs me in many ways, one area they absolutely nailed was
the updating process. In my experience anyway. Just log on, hit update, and the
rest is history.

Having said that, there have been an couple of occasions in 4 years where the
process fell over for some reason, but there were no shortage of people in a
similar situation, so help was easy.

Maybe I should just buy Combined Ops and get into DayZ while it's still shiny, new,
and the most exciting thing to happen to PC gaming for years.

And on that subject, I find this vid incredibly funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pDSMRDrgso

"Oh, you dirty *******!"

Andrew McP

Russell Unger[_2_] June 7th 12 07:01 PM

rF2 updating

On Thu, 7 Jun 2012 16:51 +0100 (BST),
(Andrew MacPherson) wrote:

>I've been pretty impressed by this in the past. But I've just spent an hour messing
>about trying to get myself updated from whatever the last version was to whatever
>the current version is and the end result was me rage-quitting and uninstalling the
>whole thing. I just couldn't get the updated mod versions to be recognised.
>
>When I calm down I will perhaps attempt to start from scratch again. If I can
>remember my login details. I know I have them scribbled down somewhere.
>
>Much though iRacing still bugs me in many ways, one area they absolutely nailed was
>the updating process. In my experience anyway. Just log on, hit update, and the
>rest is history.
>
>Having said that, there have been an couple of occasions in 4 years where the
>process fell over for some reason, but there were no shortage of people in a
>similar situation, so help was easy.
>
>Maybe I should just buy Combined Ops and get into DayZ while it's still shiny, new,
>and the most exciting thing to happen to PC gaming for years.
>
>And on that subject, I find this vid incredibly funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pDSMRDrgso

>"Oh, you dirty *******!"
>
>Andrew McP

Download the update file from the forum and put it in the
documents/rfactor/update directory.....once you have downloaded and
put the file there, go into the game to the update area, it will
automatically find the file in the update directory and update itself.

Michael R Sisson June 8th 12 02:08 AM

rF2 updating

In article >,
says...

> I've been pretty impressed by this in the past. But I've just spent an hour messing
> about trying to get myself updated from whatever the last version was to whatever
> the current version is and the end result was me rage-quitting and uninstalling the
> whole thing. I just couldn't get the updated mod versions to be recognised.
>
> When I calm down I will perhaps attempt to start from scratch again. If I can
> remember my login details. I know I have them scribbled down somewhere.
>
> Much though iRacing still bugs me in many ways, one area they absolutely nailed was
> the updating process. In my experience anyway. Just log on, hit update, and the
> rest is history.
>
> Having said that, there have been an couple of occasions in 4 years where the
> process fell over for some reason, but there were no shortage of people in a
> similar situation, so help was easy.
>
> Maybe I should just buy Combined Ops and get into DayZ while it's still shiny, new,
> and the most exciting thing to happen to PC gaming for years.
>
> And on that subject, I find this vid incredibly funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pDSMRDrgso

> "Oh, you dirty *******!"
>
> Andrew McP

What the heck does any of this have to do with calibrating your
forcefeedback with regards to screen height?

:-D

MRSisson
--
GLP LOAD
"",8,1

Andrew MacPherson[_2_] June 8th 12 04:17 AM

rF2 updating

(Russell Unger) wrote:

> Download the update file from the forum and put it in the
> documents/rfactor/update directory

Yes, that worked fine, but the updates for my mods weren't found by the new style
updater. I probably should have been more patient, but at my age life's short and
the delete button is always tempting... though not in a Fleetwood Mac kind of way.

Andrew McP

Andrew MacPherson[_2_] June 8th 12 04:17 AM

rF2 updating

(Michael R Sisson) wrote:

> What the heck does any of this have to do with calibrating your
> forcefeedback with regards to screen height?

Sorry mate, I posted in the wrong group didn't I. ;-)

Andrew McP

Andrew MacPherson[_2_] June 8th 12 06:23 AM

rF2 updating

(Andrew MacPherson) wrote:

> Yes, that worked fine, but the updates for my mods weren't found by
> the new style updater.

As expected, I was missing something silly. It's been a long time since I installed
the original mods and this time I was putting them in the Update folder rather than
the Packages folder.

Rookie error.

Andrew McP

Uwe June 8th 12 01:55 PM

rF2 updating

On Fri, 8 Jun 2012 04:17 +0100 (BST), Andrew MacPherson wrote:
> (Russell Unger) wrote:
>
>> Download the update file from the forum and put it in the
>> documents/rfactor/update directory

> Yes, that worked fine, but the updates for my mods weren't found by the new style
> updater. I probably should have been more patient, but at my age life's short and
> the delete button is always tempting... though not in a Fleetwood Mac kind of way.
>
> Andrew McP

Hang in there, Andrew, we're still in beta ;-)

All the best, Uwe

Uwe June 8th 12 01:57 PM

rF2 updating

On Thu, 07 Jun 2012 12:53:22 -0400, FolkGT wrote:

> With the latest Ford licensing announcement and new tracks seemingly
> showing up every week (a Charlotte Motor Speedway knockoff with a modified
> infield track was in today's patch, and they're currenly working on
> Monaco), there's a lot to keep "track" of. :)

If only driving the damn cars was more fun and felt half-way realistic
in pCars ... ;-> Don't get me wrong, I'm a team member but I'm so far
rather disappointed what they've come up with (apart from the graphics
which are great).

Cheers,

Uwe

FolkGT June 8th 12 02:05 PM

rF2 updating

On Thu, 7 Jun 2012 21:08:50 -0400, Michael R Sisson > wrote:

>In article >,
says...

>> I've been pretty impressed by this in the past. But I've just spent an hour messing
>> about trying to get myself updated from whatever the last version was to whatever
>> the current version is and the end result was me rage-quitting and uninstalling the
>> whole thing. I just couldn't get the updated mod versions to be recognised.
>>
>> When I calm down I will perhaps attempt to start from scratch again. If I can
>> remember my login details. I know I have them scribbled down somewhere.
>>
>> Much though iRacing still bugs me in many ways, one area they absolutely nailed was
>> the updating process. In my experience anyway. Just log on, hit update, and the
>> rest is history.
>>
>> Having said that, there have been an couple of occasions in 4 years where the
>> process fell over for some reason, but there were no shortage of people in a
>> similar situation, so help was easy.
>>
>> Maybe I should just buy Combined Ops and get into DayZ while it's still shiny, new,
>> and the most exciting thing to happen to PC gaming for years.
>>
>> And on that subject, I find this vid incredibly funny.
>>
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pDSMRDrgso
>>
>> "Oh, you dirty *******!"
>>
>> Andrew McP

>What the heck does any of this have to do with calibrating your
>forcefeedback with regards to screen height?
>
>:-D
>

>MRSisson

:)