AutoBanter

-   Technology (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   MAF in backwards (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=178334)

[email protected] July 28th 07 10:56 PM

MAF in backwards

what sort of problems would I experience if the Mass Air Flow sensor
is in with the arrows pointing the wrong way? I just found mine in
wrong and I am experiencing intermittant poor acceleration when the
engine is hot on a hot day. I haven't driven it enough (now that its
in correctly) to know for sure if its better now.

PauL July 28th 07 11:49 PM

MAF in backwards

wrote:

> what sort of problems would I experience if the Mass Air Flow sensor
> is in with the arrows pointing the wrong way? I just found mine in
> wrong and I am experiencing intermittant poor acceleration when the
> engine is hot on a hot day. I haven't driven it enough (now that its
> in correctly) to know for sure if its better now.

Engine won't run because the cone shuts off the airflow.

[email protected] July 29th 07 04:32 AM

MAF in backwards

On Jul 28, 4:49 pm, PauL > wrote:
> wrote:
>
> > what sort of problems would I experience if the Mass Air Flow sensor
> > is in with the arrows pointing the wrong way? I just found mine in
> > wrong and I am experiencing intermittant poor acceleration when the
> > engine is hot on a hot day. I haven't driven it enough (now that its
> > in correctly) to know for sure if its better now.

> Engine won't run because the cone shuts off the airflow.

it actually runs no differently when its in backwards

clifto July 29th 07 05:35 AM

MAF in backwards

wrote:
> On Jul 28, 4:49 pm, PauL > wrote:
>> wrote:
>>
>> > what sort of problems would I experience if the Mass Air Flow sensor
>> > is in with the arrows pointing the wrong way? I just found mine in
>> > wrong and I am experiencing intermittant poor acceleration when the
>> > engine is hot on a hot day. I haven't driven it enough (now that its
>> > in correctly) to know for sure if its better now.

>> Engine won't run because the cone shuts off the airflow.

> it actually runs no differently when its in backwards

Seriously, what are the arrows for?

--
"Liberals used to be the ones who argued that sending U.S. troops abroad
was a small price to pay to stop genocide; now they argue that genocide

[email protected] July 29th 07 08:19 AM

MAF in backwards

On Jul 28, 10:35 pm, clifto > wrote:
> wrote:

> >> Engine won't run because the cone shuts off the airflow.

> > it actually runs no differently when its in backwards

> Seriously, what are the arrows for?
>
> --
> "Liberals used to be the ones who argued that sending U.S. troops abroad
> was a small price to pay to stop genocide; now they argue that genocide
> is a small price to pay to bring U.S. troops home."
> -- Jonah Goldberg

the arrows are for direction of air flow. it makes no difference in my
1997 suburban with a 5.7

Paul Hovnanian P.E. July 31st 07 05:36 AM

MAF in backwards

wrote:

> On Jul 28, 10:35 pm, clifto > wrote:
> > wrote:

> > > it actually runs no differently when its in backwards

> > Seriously, what are the arrows for?
> >
> > --
> > "Liberals used to be the ones who argued that sending U.S. troops abroad
> > was a small price to pay to stop genocide; now they argue that genocide
> > is a small price to pay to bring U.S. troops home."
> > -- Jonah Goldberg

> the arrows are for direction of air flow. it makes no difference in my
> 1997 suburban with a 5.7

It depends on exactly what kind of MAF sensor you are talking about. A
hot wire sensor won't care which way the air flows. A mechanical type
may very well block if the flow pushes the cone/diaphram or whatever
closed instead of open.

--
Paul Hovnanian
Relax, its only ones and zeros!

Comboverfish July 31st 07 06:42 AM

MAF in backwards

On Jul 29, 2:19 am, wrote:
> On Jul 28, 10:35 pm, clifto > wrote:
>

> > wrote:

> > > it actually runs no differently when its in backwards

> > Seriously, what are the arrows for?

> > --
> > "Liberals used to be the ones who argued that sending U.S. troops abroad
> > was a small price to pay to stop genocide; now they argue that genocide
> > is a small price to pay to bring U.S. troops home."
> > -- Jonah Goldberg

> the arrows are for direction of air flow. it makes no difference in my
> 1997 suburban with a 5.7- Hide quoted text -

Now that you've mentioned a make and model we can continue. I haven't
looked at that style in quite a while, but I don't think that it has
any (significant) asymmetrical airflow paths inside. Also it is
unusual in that it *can* be turned around. I still wouldn't use it
backwards unless it was for some sort of testing. The MAFs I see on a
daily basis can't be installed backward in their air boxes.
Furthermore, there is a designed in 'windbreak' for lack of better
terminology that would surely interupt intended airflow patterns
around the two sensor elements if it were oriented wrong.

Toyota MDT in MO