AutoBanter

-   Simulators (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   May the best wind tunnel win (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=69842)

V_e_s_a July 16th 06 06:01 AM

May the best wind tunnel win

Its gertting rediculous, no wonder some people go away from this
nonsense. Now when BMW established "twin towers", whats next?

Place them under a ceiling, Bernie pulling strings.

Vesa

Dave Henrie July 16th 06 04:51 PM

May the best wind tunnel win

V_e_s_a > wrote in
:

> Its gertting rediculous, no wonder some people go away from this
> nonsense. Now when BMW established "twin towers", whats next?
>
> Place them under a ceiling, Bernie pulling strings.
>

> Vesa

The twin towers are nothing new really. An American Indycarteam with a
British designer tried something similar in the early 70's. The car had
two small V shaped wings near the nose of the car and two larger wings
protruding from where the airbox would be on a modern F1 at a similar angle

The driver's didn't trust the concpet so the two rear wings were cut off
and a standard rear wing was put in place. Here is one photo of the
altered car, The front winglets are white and may not be easy to see
against the yellow. The two rear dihedral wings would have angled up
just behind the driver if they were still in place \ /

http://www.oldracingcars.com/indy/

dave henrie

Bob Loblaw July 17th 06 10:22 AM

May the best wind tunnel win

"Dave Henrie" > wrote in message
. 97.136...
> V_e_s_a > wrote in
> :
>

>> Its gertting rediculous, no wonder some people go away from this
>> nonsense. Now when BMW established "twin towers", whats next?
>>
>> Place them under a ceiling, Bernie pulling strings.
>>

>> Vesa
>>

> The twin towers are nothing new really. An American Indycarteam with a
> British designer tried something similar in the early 70's. The car had
> two small V shaped wings near the nose of the car and two larger wings
> protruding from where the airbox would be on a modern F1 at a similar
> angle
>
> The driver's didn't trust the concpet so the two rear wings were cut off
> and a standard rear wing was put in place. Here is one photo of the
> altered car, The front winglets are white and may not be easy to see
> against the yellow. The two rear dihedral wings would have angled up
> just behind the driver if they were still in place \ /
>
> http://www.oldracingcars.com/indy/
>
> dave henrie

Cool website. Thank you for sharing it. I will probably spend a lot of hours
reading it.

sammy July 17th 06 10:29 PM

May the best wind tunnel win

Bob Loblaw wrote:
> "Dave Henrie" > wrote in message
> . 97.136...
>> V_e_s_a > wrote in
>> :
>>
>>> Its gertting rediculous, no wonder some people go away from this
>>> nonsense. Now when BMW established "twin towers", whats next?
>>>
>>> Place them under a ceiling, Bernie pulling strings.
>>>

>>> Vesa
>>>

>> The twin towers are nothing new really. An American Indycarteam with a
>> British designer tried something similar in the early 70's. The car had
>> two small V shaped wings near the nose of the car and two larger wings
>> protruding from where the airbox would be on a modern F1 at a similar
>> angle
>>
>> The driver's didn't trust the concpet so the two rear wings were cut off
>> and a standard rear wing was put in place. Here is one photo of the
>> altered car, The front winglets are white and may not be easy to see
>> against the yellow. The two rear dihedral wings would have angled up
>> just behind the driver if they were still in place \ /
>>
>> http://www.oldracingcars.com/indy/
>>
>> dave henrie
>>

> Cool website. Thank you for sharing it. I will probably spend a lot of hours
> reading it.

Ditto... I will definitely kill a few days at work with it :)

Seven Smiles July 17th 06 10:45 PM

May the best wind tunnel win

"Dave Henrie" wrote
> The twin towers are nothing new really. An American Indycarteam with a
> British designer tried something similar in the early 70's. The car had
> two small V shaped wings near the nose of the car and two larger wings
> protruding from where the airbox would be on a modern F1 at a similar
> angle
>
> The driver's didn't trust the concpet so the two rear wings were cut off
> and a standard rear wing was put in place. Here is one photo of the
> altered car, The front winglets are white and may not be easy to see
> against the yellow. The two rear dihedral wings would have angled up
> just behind the driver if they were still in place \ /
>
> http://www.oldracingcars.com/indy/

There was an Indy car as you describe at the Goodwood Festival of Speed this
year. I would have taken a photo if my battery hadn't died :(

Tony Rickard July 17th 06 11:23 PM

May the best wind tunnel win

V_e_s_a wrote:
> Its gertting rediculous, no wonder some people go away from this
> nonsense. Now when BMW established "twin towers", whats next?
>
> Place them under a ceiling, Bernie pulling strings.

I agree that some of the addons look a bit daft, but I like some
innovation which differentiates the cars otherwise the they all look
like they were designed by the same computer program. I have this
cunning idea to stick a big fan on the back of the car, but I'm keeping
it to myself 'til I get the nod from Bernie...

Dave Henrie July 18th 06 03:35 AM

May the best wind tunnel win

Tony Rickard > wrote in
.uk:

> V_e_s_a wrote:
>> Its gertting rediculous, no wonder some people go away from this
>> nonsense. Now when BMW established "twin towers", whats next?
>>
>> Place them under a ceiling, Bernie pulling strings.
>>

> I agree that some of the addons look a bit daft, but I like some
> innovation which differentiates the cars otherwise the they all look
> like they were designed by the same computer program. I have this
> cunning idea to stick a big fan on the back of the car, but I'm keeping
> it to myself 'til I get the nod from Bernie...

You mean like the Chaparall 2J Sucker car from 1970? A couple of
snowmobile engines and box rear end provided suction for the entire rear
end.
Check out the 5th picture from the top. Really check out all the
photos...these are some amazing cars.

http://www.sandcastlevi.com/racing/chaprral.htm

dh