AutoBanter

-   Technology (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Transmission Cooler For Tacoma PreRunner 4 Cylinder 2.7 Automatic Transmission (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=18077)

Tommy Taylor January 1st 05 04:10 AM

Transmission Cooler For Tacoma PreRunner 4 Cylinder 2.7 Automatic Transmission

Is it appropriate to install a TRD transmission cooler (TRD 00602-16491-002)
in a 2000 Tacoma Prerunner 4 Cylinder (3RZFE) 2.7 Automatic Transmission
with air conditioning? My Tacoma is a 2WD regular cab.

I asked a mechanic if he could install one and he said no problem. When he
called a Toyota distributor/dealer for parts, he was told that it wouldn't
work. I didn't understand why not...something about the radiator.

I looked under the hood and there wasn't much room between the air
conditioning condenser and the grill.

If the TRD won't work, what about a Hayden or other aftermarket Trans
Cooler.

THANKS!

Comboverfish January 2nd 05 12:26 AM

I work at Toyota and I would still have to ask the parts department if
TRD made a cooler to fit your Prerunner. They have full color manuals
that show the TRD kits and any available individual parts in the kit.
I would suggest you go in person to a Toyota parts counter to look at
their literature; find out firsthand.

OTOH, an aftermarket cooler can certainly be added to your system.
There's nothing special about your vehicle that would prevent it.
These coolers are usually very thin and maybe 15" long in width on
average. I think you could tie one to the condensor near the middle
unless the vertical hood latch support member is too obtrusive. It
would be safe to assume the aftermarket unit would be much cheaper.
Toyota MDT in MO