AutoBanter

-   Saturn (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Rear brake adjustment: 95 SW1 (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=12602)

David Teichholtz June 29th 04 01:25 AM

Rear brake adjustment: 95 SW1

Strange problem. On the rear brakes, the slot in the backing plate thru
which would normally insert a brake adjusting tool to spin the star wheel is
on the wrong part of the backing plate. On the passenger side of the car,
the self adjuster and the star wheel are toward the left,or rear of the
center of the plate. The slot is to the right of the center, toward the
front of the car. I first thought that the brake hardware was installed
incorrectly, but that is not the case. Then I thought that the backing
plates had somehow switched sides, but an inspection of two other cars shows
that this is not the case, both cars had the slots toward the front of the
car.

I stopped at the dealer today, and a tech verified that the brakes cannot be
adjusted with the drum off.

This just seems too weird for me. The self adjusters are not keeping the
brakes adjusted well, and I just want to spin the star adjusters a bit.

I'm thinking that I will just make another slot so that I can access the
star adjuster. Has anyone else tried this?

BTW, For some reason, every car I have owned with rear drum brakes always
has a problem with the self adjusters, and even before I screw them up!

-David

James1549 June 29th 04 03:36 AM

David, I have the same problem with my '92. I file off the "ridge" on the brake
drum. Then adjust the shoes as far as I can and still get the drum on.

I have been doing this for 12 years and it works fine. I wish there was a way
to do it with the drum and wheels on, but you can't have everything!

James