AutoBanter

-   Technology (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   windscreen affecting airbags? eh? (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=440397)

[email protected] May 6th 18 02:22 AM

windscreen affecting airbags? eh?

I saw an advert from an auto windowscreen company claiming that if you
windscreen is not fitted properly, it might affect airbags deployment.
How so?

Steve W.[_6_] May 6th 18 01:01 PM

wrote:
> I saw an advert from an auto windowscreen company claiming that if you
> windscreen is not fitted properly, it might affect airbags deployment.
> How so?

The glass is an integral part of the safety systems, on many vehicles
the glass is used as a barrier for the airbag. It acts as a backing
plate so the bag doesn't just act like a balloon when it deploys and
just bounce around. If the glass isn't bonded properly it will break
free and the bag becomes useless.

--
Steve W.

[email protected] May 7th 18 12:31 PM

On Sunday, May 6, 2018 at 8:01:07 PM UTC+8, Steve W. wrote:

> The glass is an integral part of the safety systems, on many vehicles
> the glass is used as a barrier for the airbag. It acts as a backing
> plate so the bag doesn't just act like a balloon when it deploys and
> just bounce around. If the glass isn't bonded properly it will break
> free and the bag becomes useless.

A few weeks ago, I saw a car (25-30 years old) get rear-ended. Apart from'
the arse end crumpling, the windscreen popped off. So I guess that the
glue had deteriorated badly....

Steve W.[_6_] May 7th 18 04:42 PM

wrote:
> On Sunday, May 6, 2018 at 8:01:07 PM UTC+8, Steve W. wrote:
>> The glass is an integral part of the safety systems, on many vehicles
>> the glass is used as a barrier for the airbag. It acts as a backing
>> plate so the bag doesn't just act like a balloon when it deploys and
>> just bounce around. If the glass isn't bonded properly it will break
>> free and the bag becomes useless.
>>

> A few weeks ago, I saw a car (25-30 years old) get rear-ended. Apart from'
> the arse end crumpling, the windscreen popped off. So I guess that the
> glue had deteriorated badly....

Probably not the glue but what it was attached to. Most glass is bonded
into the painted window channel, and rust/corrosion or failure under the
paint and the paint just peels up. In my area it is the rust that causes
most issues, even "sealed" connectors corrode internally from it.

--
Steve W.