AutoBanter

-   Chrysler (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Vacuum heater valve 91 GC (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=175411)

dprkk July 19th 07 12:21 PM

Vacuum heater valve 91 GC

After living with lukewarm heater performance for too long with my 91
GC, I decided to get to the bottom of the problem. I found no vacuum
to the heater core control valve. The vacuum line goes into the
firewall to the under side of the dash somewhere. What is the
suggested way to start troubleshooting and taking things apart under
the dash? TIA.

Ted Mittelstaedt July 20th 07 10:14 AM

Vacuum heater valve 91 GC

"dprkk" > wrote in message
ps.com...
> After living with lukewarm heater performance for too long with my 91
> GC, I decided to get to the bottom of the problem. I found no vacuum
> to the heater core control valve. The vacuum line goes into the
> firewall to the under side of the dash somewhere. What is the
> suggested way to start troubleshooting and taking things apart under
> the dash? TIA.

With a 15 year old vehicle you might consider bypass rather than
repair. For little money you could run a vacuum line from manifold
to a vacuum valve you just mount under the dash and manually
operate. Run a line from the valve to the heater core control valve.

Taking the dash apart is a very complex operation. The first step
is getting the factory service manual and studying the procedures.

Ted

maxpower July 20th 07 06:34 PM

Vacuum heater valve 91 GC

"Ted Mittelstaedt" > wrote in message

> "dprkk" > wrote in message
> ps.com...
> > After living with lukewarm heater performance for too long with my 91
> > GC, I decided to get to the bottom of the problem. I found no vacuum
> > to the heater core control valve. The vacuum line goes into the
> > firewall to the under side of the dash somewhere. What is the
> > suggested way to start troubleshooting and taking things apart under
> > the dash? TIA.
> >

> With a 15 year old vehicle you might consider bypass rather than
> repair. For little money you could run a vacuum line from manifold
> to a vacuum valve you just mount under the dash and manually
> operate. Run a line from the valve to the heater core control valve.
>
> Taking the dash apart is a very complex operation. The first step
> is getting the factory service manual and studying the procedures.
>
> Ted

You DON'T need a vacuum hose from the dash to the control valve!! The
purpose of the vacuum hose is to close the heater control valve when max air
is requested. Apply a vacuum source to the valve will cut off all incoming
hot coolant to the heater core.

Glenn

dprkk July 21st 07 02:10 AM

Vacuum heater valve 91 GC

On Jul 20, 12:34 pm, "maxpower" > wrote:
> "Ted Mittelstaedt" > wrote in message

> > "dprkk" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
> > > After living with lukewarm heater performance for too long with my 91
> > > GC, I decided to get to the bottom of the problem. I found no vacuum
> > > to the heater core control valve. The vacuum line goes into the
> > > firewall to the under side of the dash somewhere. What is the
> > > suggested way to start troubleshooting and taking things apart under
> > > the dash? TIA.

> > With a 15 year old vehicle you might consider bypass rather than
> > repair. For little money you could run a vacuum line from manifold
> > to a vacuum valve you just mount under the dash and manually
> > operate. Run a line from the valve to the heater core control valve.

> > Taking the dash apart is a very complex operation. The first step
> > is getting the factory service manual and studying the procedures.

> > Ted

> You DON'T need a vacuum hose from the dash to the control valve!! The
> purpose of the vacuum hose is to close the heater control valve when max air
> is requested. Apply a vacuum source to the valve will cut off all incoming
> hot coolant to the heater core.
>
> Glenn- Hide quoted text -

Thanks to Glenn, Ted and others for the advice. I understand how this
valve works now. I bought all new radiator and heater hoses and will
rip everything apart tomorrow. Hopefully after flushing the core a
little, the heat output will improve. Also bought a new t-stat from
Dodge. Two last questions; to flush the cooling system, can I just
open the petcock drain and put a garden hose in the top of the
radiator and let it circulate? Also, I hear about air in the system
causing problems and to "burp" the system. Just how do you do this?
Thanks all.

Ron Seiden July 21st 07 04:37 AM

Vacuum heater valve 91 GC

"dprkk" > wrote in message
ps.com...
> After living with lukewarm heater performance for too long with my 91
> GC, I decided to get to the bottom of the problem. I found no vacuum
> to the heater core control valve. The vacuum line goes into the
> firewall to the under side of the dash somewhere. What is the
> suggested way to start troubleshooting and taking things apart under
> the dash? TIA.

On older cars (and I'm going back *many* years), there was no valve on the
water input to the heater, just a direct (full flow) connection to the
heater core. The way the amount of heat was adjusted was by routing air
around the heater core. When the vacuum control valve on the heater water
pipe in one of my old cars died, I just hacksawed it off and connected the
hose directly to the remaining pipe. I was still able to adjust the amount
of heat I got, and no more funky vacuum control problems. (Another benefit
of a full flow connection is that flushing the cooling system flushed
*everything*.)