AutoBanter

-   Alfa Romeo (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   2.4JTD Clutch (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=725)

[email protected] January 17th 05 11:36 PM

2.4JTD Clutch

Hello,

I have a 2001 156 2.4JTD, with 78,000 miles (125,000Km) on the clock.

I have noticed that the clutch has begun to smell of burning when the
engine is under load, although it doesn't seem to slip much - 90mph
(145kmh) is at 3,000 rpm as it always has been.

Does it sound like I need a new clutch? Is this the normal mileage to
get out of clutch? Even with all the torque, I would have hoped for
more!

Is replacing it a complicated job, and am I best using the standard
Alfa part? Is the clutch on the multijet JTD's upgraded? And will it
last longer, or are the plated softer so it slips less and so won't
last as long? (If that is how they work) Or are there any other
clutches anyone can recommend?

I am thinking of getting it chipped, so would be interested in a clutch
capable of taking more torque.

Thanks for your help,

Nick

Charles C. January 18th 05 06:01 PM

wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a 2001 156 2.4JTD, with 78,000 miles (125,000Km) on the clock.
>
> I have noticed that the clutch has begun to smell of burning when the
> engine is under load, although it doesn't seem to slip much - 90mph
> (145kmh) is at 3,000 rpm as it always has been.

If your clutch is slipping you should not drive the car as you could
damage the flywheel. To test it, put handbrake on and select top gear
(assuming masnual car) if you can release gently the clutch and the
engine runs ... the clutch is slipping.

You are more likely to notice the slipping at low gears.

Sorry ... can't help with the other queestions.

Regards
Charles

--

Please remove _removeme_ to reply.
Work:

Zathras January 18th 05 10:10 PM

On 17 Jan 2005 15:36:44 -0800, wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I have a 2001 156 2.4JTD, with 78,000 miles (125,000Km) on the clock.
>
>I have noticed that the clutch has begun to smell of burning when the
>engine is under load, although it doesn't seem to slip much - 90mph
>(145kmh) is at 3,000 rpm as it always has been.
>
>Does it sound like I need a new clutch? Is this the normal mileage to
>get out of clutch? Even with all the torque, I would have hoped for
>more!

<snip>

A mate of mine with a Laguna diesel was replacing clutches every
18,000 miles (and he wasn't the only one). The torque modern powerful
diesels put through the clutch seems to eat clutches in certain cases.
As always, it entirely depends on the driving style how long wearable
parts last.

Scotland
Alfa Romeo 156 2.4JTD Veloce Leather
'Oil' be seeing you..
(Email without 'Alfa' in subject are auto-deleted..sorry!)