AutoBanter

-   VW air cooled (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   sticking exhaust valves (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=144695)

LLBrown April 14th 07 07:41 PM

sticking exhaust valves

Well, as you can tell from the subject line I have problems. My exhuast
valves seem to be sticking after my engine warms up producing a total power
fall off and non stop backfires.

Is there any hope of an engine flush doing any good or is this a total
overhaul situation??

Leonard in Laredo
(74 Thing 12K miles)

Speedy Jim April 14th 07 08:17 PM

sticking exhaust valves

LLBrown wrote:
> Well, as you can tell from the subject line I have problems. My exhuast
> valves seem to be sticking after my engine warms up producing a total power
> fall off and non stop backfires.
>
> Is there any hope of an engine flush doing any good or is this a total
> overhaul situation??
>
> Leonard in Laredo
> (74 Thing 12K miles)

Not a Total overhaul.
Sounds like the valve guides may be too tight;
Pull heads off and ream 'em out a hair.

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/

"I have no use for a car which has more spark plugs than a cow has teats!"
Henry Ford, when advised that Chevrolet was introducing a 6-cylinder engine.

Joey Tribiani April 14th 07 11:37 PM

sticking exhaust valves

"LLBrown" > wrote in message
. ..
> Well, as you can tell from the subject line I have problems. My exhuast
> valves seem to be sticking after my engine warms up producing a total
> power
> fall off and non stop backfires.
>
> Is there any hope of an engine flush doing any good or is this a total
> overhaul situation??
>
> Leonard in Laredo
> (74 Thing 12K miles)

make sure your valve adjustment is right before proceding to a teardown...