AutoBanter

-   Antique cars (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   part interchangabilty guide/source, etc.? (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=7638)

rudyeb September 15th 04 03:50 AM

part interchangabilty guide/source, etc.?

I have just purchased a 1941 DeSoto S-8C Custom and am wondering if there is
someplace or some sort of guide that would let me know what parts I can
change with newer ones. Meaning the breaks I would like to change to disc or
at least use better wheel cylinders than the original. I don't intend to
restore to original, I want to make it a street rod with my son.
Any guidance or direction would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
Rudy

snh9728 September 15th 04 03:02 PM

Robin Banks wrote:

> On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 22:50:35 -0400, "rudyeb" > wrote:
>
> > I have just purchased a 1941 DeSoto S-8C Custom and am wondering if there is
> > someplace or some sort of guide that would let me know what parts I can
> > change with newer ones.

> Well, there are interchange guides to tell you what parts were the same for
> what cars (ie: "this Buick brake part was also on this Studebaker and this
> Caddie and also this model Ford"... that sort of thing), but I don't recall
> anything that'll tell you "back then" vs "newly made".
>
> I'd tell you exactly the name of the interchange manuals I'm thinking of, but
> I'm having a huge brain fart and books aren't nearby. Someone will come along
> and tell you/remind me. <laugh>
>
> ~~R.Banks

Hollander manuals. Not really useful for what this guy is looking for.

Steve H