AutoBanter

-   4x4 (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Suspension AND Body lift? (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=6451)

JoeArmy99 June 25th 04 05:02 AM

Suspension AND Body lift?

Is it possible to use both a suspension and a body lift on a vehicle?..Say
like a 1994 Jeep Cherokee..If one has a 2" suspension lift kits would it also
be possible to add a 2" body lift?..I ask because I already have a complete 2"
suspension lift kit I got for free (Used)..Would a 2" body lift kit require
something additional with the suspension beyond what would be in the 2"
suspension lift?..Thanks

Roger Brown June 25th 04 06:08 PM

JoeArmy99 wrote:

> Is it possible to use both a suspension and a body lift on a vehicle?..Say
> like a 1994 Jeep Cherokee..If one has a 2" suspension lift kits would it also
> be possible to add a 2" body lift?..I ask because I already have a complete 2"
> suspension lift kit I got for free (Used)..Would a 2" body lift kit require
> something additional with the suspension beyond what would be in the 2"
> suspension lift?..Thanks

Generally no problems mixing the two lifts. I run a body and suspension
lift on my Toyota, the combination works well. Since the body lift only
raises the body off the frame, there is usually no interaction with the
suspension lift, which raises the frame (and body) off of the axles:
http://www.4Crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/...it.shtml#Lifts

--
Roger

Roger Brown June 25th 04 06:08 PM

Will Honea June 25th 04 07:25 PM

On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 04:02:52 UTC (JoeArmy99) wrote:

> Is it possible to use both a suspension and a body lift on a vehicle?..Say
> like a 1994 Jeep Cherokee..If one has a 2" suspension lift kits would it also
> be possible to add a 2" body lift?..I ask because I already have a complete 2"
> suspension lift kit I got for free (Used)..Would a 2" body lift kit require
> something additional with the suspension beyond what would be in the 2"
> suspension lift?..Thanks

Cherokee uses "uniframe" construction - body is welded to and forms
part of the frame. That means you can't (easily) separate the body
from the frame so body lifts really don't apply to the XJ.

--
Will Honea

Will Honea June 25th 04 07:25 PM

Roger Brown June 25th 04 11:31 PM

Will Honea wrote:

> On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 04:02:52 UTC (JoeArmy99) wrote:
>
> > Is it possible to use both a suspension and a body lift on a vehicle?..Say
> > like a 1994 Jeep Cherokee..If one has a 2" suspension lift kits would it also
> > be possible to add a 2" body lift?..I ask because I already have a complete 2"
> > suspension lift kit I got for free (Used)..Would a 2" body lift kit require
> > something additional with the suspension beyond what would be in the 2"
> > suspension lift?..Thanks

> Cherokee uses "uniframe" construction - body is welded to and forms
> part of the frame. That means you can't (easily) separate the body
> from the frame so body lifts really don't apply to the XJ.

I know at some point the Cherokee with to the uniframe construction, not
sure the year that transition happened, though.

--
Roger

Roger Brown June 25th 04 11:31 PM

Will Honea June 26th 04 07:44 AM

On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 22:31:35 UTC Roger Brown >
wrote:

> Will Honea wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 04:02:52 UTC (JoeArmy99) wrote:
> >
> > > Is it possible to use both a suspension and a body lift on a vehicle?..Say
> > > like a 1994 Jeep Cherokee..If one has a 2" suspension lift kits would it also
> > > be possible to add a 2" body lift?..I ask because I already have a complete 2"
> > > suspension lift kit I got for free (Used)..Would a 2" body lift kit require
> > > something additional with the suspension beyond what would be in the 2"
> > > suspension lift?..Thanks

> > Cherokee uses "uniframe" construction - body is welded to and forms
> > part of the frame. That means you can't (easily) separate the body
> > from the frame so body lifts really don't apply to the XJ.

> I know at some point the Cherokee with to the uniframe construction, not
> sure the year that transition happened, though.

It's been that way since at least '85 according to my FSM dates. I
think the Wagoneer that preceded the XJ may have had a full frame
(never looked) but the XJ has had a uniframe from day one.

--
Will Honea

Will Honea June 26th 04 07:44 AM

JoeArmy99 June 26th 04 12:29 PM

Thanks for the info guys..I didn`t know about the body welding etc and was just
bouncing the idea around in my head since I saw some body lift kits listed
somewhere