AutoBanter

-   Simulators (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   More NFS Shift, more movie action, more... ZZzzzz...... (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=338666)

Andrew MacPherson[_2_] October 13th 09 05:08 PM

More NFS Shift, more movie action, more... ZZzzzz......

Yes, I know, get a life! But once in a while something comes along and gives you
permission to have fun again. At my age that usually involves taking a double dose
of ibuprophen for my dodgy back, or being a devil and eating a whole packet of
cookies instead of just half.

Shift continues to make me smile, and the camera control util released by Racer_S
has added a new dimension to the experience. Now I can set the FOV at about 0.7 for
the most spectacular TripleHead experience in (my) sim racing history. It's just...
well, amazing! Sadly I can't persuade Fraps to capture that as smoothly as I'd like
at a decent resolution, but I have -- fairly predictably -- made this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgAA-CPNLVU

.... to show some of the additional fun Racer_S has brought to the party. The
cockpit shots there are set at about 0.7 FOV. Imagine the rest of the cockpit
either side and that's what's making me grin this week. It even makes up for the
fact that this mod adds horrible delays to all the loading sequences. They're
annoying, but the mod's free and on balance it's worth the hassle.

Andrew McP

http://www.virtualr.net/need-for-spe...l-1-0-release/

Zed October 13th 09 08:40 PM

Andrew MacPherson wrote:
> Yes, I know, get a life! But once in a while something comes along and gives you
> permission to have fun again. At my age that usually involves taking a double dose
> of ibuprophen for my dodgy back, or being a devil and eating a whole packet of
> cookies instead of just half.
>
> Shift continues to make me smile, and the camera control util released by Racer_S
> has added a new dimension to the experience. Now I can set the FOV at about 0.7 for
> the most spectacular TripleHead experience in (my) sim racing history. It's just...
> well, amazing! Sadly I can't persuade Fraps to capture that as smoothly as I'd like
> at a decent resolution, but I have -- fairly predictably -- made this...
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgAA-CPNLVU
>
> ... to show some of the additional fun Racer_S has brought to the party. The
> cockpit shots there are set at about 0.7 FOV. Imagine the rest of the cockpit
> either side and that's what's making me grin this week. It even makes up for the
> fact that this mod adds horrible delays to all the loading sequences. They're
> annoying, but the mod's free and on balance it's worth the hassle.
>
> Andrew McP
>
> http://www.virtualr.net/need-for-spe...l-1-0-release/

Nice video. Watching it made me come to this conclusion, all the AI
drive the same. It doesn't matter which car you drive, they all drive
they same way. I'm driving the McLaren F1, and I swear, the AI drive the
same way with me at the 'Ring, as they did in your video. Same mistakes,
same turns, etc. There may be some randomness in it, but it really
strikes me they drive the same.
I'm now anticipating how they will screw up, and take advantage of it.

Ronald Stoehr October 13th 09 11:09 PM

Andrew MacPherson wrote:
> Yes, I know, get a life! But once in a while something comes along and gives you
> permission to have fun again. At my age that usually involves taking a double dose
> of ibuprophen for my dodgy back, or being a devil and eating a whole packet of
> cookies instead of just half.
>
> Shift continues to make me smile, and the camera control util released by Racer_S
> has added a new dimension to the experience. Now I can set the FOV at about 0.7 for
> the most spectacular TripleHead experience in (my) sim racing history. It's just...
> well, amazing! Sadly I can't persuade Fraps to capture that as smoothly as I'd like
> at a decent resolution, but I have -- fairly predictably -- made this...
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgAA-CPNLVU

One question: did you install a drift mod? Why is that sports car rotating around
its center like a noodle on a wet plate? Yikes...

Andrew MacPherson[_2_] October 14th 09 10:53 AM

(Ronald Stoehr) wrote:

> One question: did you install a drift mod?

No, that's the vanilla install, and I've never tried any of the drift cars/races in
Shift.

I still think Shift looks far worse than it feels, and it feels absolutely superb
to me, even though I thought iRacing had ruined all other simulated racing
experiences.

It's also not fair to judge Shift on the way I drive the Impreza. That thing was
set up by a rally fan, I'm sure. It's *wonderfully* satisfying to throw around, and
I insist on throwing it. :-)

The FOV settings I used emphasise that movement as well, especially the outside
views in that movie. The viewpoint is offset from the actual vehicle (forward and
above) and I used my TIR hand-held as a 'camera'. So a lot of the movement is mine
rather than Shift's.

Andrew McP

Daffy Duck November 11th 09 11:39 PM

Ronald Stoehr wrote:

> One question: did you install a drift mod? Why is that sports car
> rotating around
> its center like a noodle on a wet plate? Yikes...

It's a rally car and can drift corners easily, not as well as the
Mitsubishi Lancer though.