AutoBanter

-   Chrysler (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Getting a 300M detailed (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=57492)

Art February 21st 06 02:12 AM

Getting a 300M detailed

So I spent $200 and had the "detailed" inside and out before shipping it to
my in-laws. I used to wax and in later years put NuFinish on my cars, but I
have to say they never came out like this. It is incredible. Maybe I
should keep it. LOL.

I have to think that although the car is gorgeous, the process had gone to
wear out the clear coat faster? Any ideas on whether that is true?

NJ Vike February 21st 06 11:34 PM

Getting a 300M detailed

Art,

I don't believe so. Owning a Black 300M has taken its toll out on my arms.
Sort of like the karate kid with "wax on, wax off" for four years. I have
not only kept this car clean, but also have maintained the paint by using
polish and wax. I see no evidence of the clear being removed.

Unfortunately, in the direct sunlight, you can see the scratches in the
clear caused by the automatic car wash. What can you do? It's either salt
staying on the car or having it removed but marking the clear.

No more dark colored cars for me. They're beautiful when clean but they
don't stay clean for long.

Ken

nk.net...

Art February 22nd 06 01:22 AM

Getting a 300M detailed

I think they used polishing compound on the finish which is something I
never did. Did the polish you use have an abrasive in it?

nk.net...

Art February 22nd 06 01:24 AM

Getting a 300M detailed

By the way, my 2 new Honda's are white. They get filthy very quickly. My
300M and Avalon were beige. That is probably the way to go. I still don't
buy silver. I've seen too many cars with problem silver/gray paint. Plus
it matches the road so the car is less visible.

nk.net...

Hachiroku February 22nd 06 04:20 AM

Getting a 300M detailed

On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 00:24:47 +0000, Art wrote:

> By the way, my 2 new Honda's are white. They get filthy very quickly. My
> 300M and Avalon were beige. That is probably the way to go. I still don't
> buy silver. I've seen too many cars with problem silver/gray paint. Plus
> it matches the road so the car is less visible.

TWO new Hondas? I thought you only had one!

Why not give one to the In-Laws, and

KEEP the CLUNKER???

--
In the grand scheme fo things...
What difference does it make?

Hachiroku February 22nd 06 04:26 AM

Getting a 300M detailed (seriou response, no CLUNKER jokes)

On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 01:12:31 +0000, Art wrote:

> So I spent $200 and had the "detailed" inside and out before shipping it to
> my in-laws. I used to wax and in later years put NuFinish on my cars, but I
> have to say they never came out like this. It is incredible. Maybe I
> should keep it. LOL.
>
> I have to think that although the car is gorgeous, the process had gone to
> wear out the clear coat faster? Any ideas on whether that is true?

$200?!?!?! We charged $135 and spent ALL DAY if it took it to clean a car.

As far as ClearCoat, ALL professional cleaning/finish products are
clearcoat safe now. For a couple reasons:

First, all cars are base/clearcoat now, and it's a Polyesther finish to
boot. Just like those high-waisted pants you wear when you're in Florida! ;)

The other thing is, EPA compliance is a LOT easier for products used on
Clearcoat paints. It doesn't take (and you don't WANT!) quite as much as
you would for a Urethane or Acrylic finish, so the products are easier to
manufacture. And aren't as harsh. (You also can't RUB a new finish with
harsher chemicals like you could before. A Urethane would stand up to MUCH
more punishment than the new finishes. They were a lot thicker and more
durable. Hell, when I left the Toyota dealer, we were just beginning to
use WATER BASED touch up paint!!!)

Hachiroku February 22nd 06 04:28 AM

Getting a 300M detailed

On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 00:22:34 +0000, Art wrote:

> I think they used polishing compound on the finish which is something I
> never did. Did the polish you use have an abrasive in it?

We never used Polishing Coupmound. When the going got tough, I used 3M
Fill 'N Glaze, which is perfectly CC safe, or a swirl remover for black
cars made by another company. If you couldn't at least HIDE the blemishes
with either or those products, you needed new paint...

Art February 22nd 06 06:21 AM

Getting a 300M detailed

Actually the 300M looks so beautiful all cleaned up that maybe we will keep
it and give them the new Accord hybrid. Yeah, if that lottery ticket comes
thru, that is exactly what we will do.

Art February 22nd 06 06:23 AM

Getting a 300M detailed (seriou response, no CLUNKER jokes)

They spent less than 4 hours on it. It was actually $182 plus tax.

NJ Vike February 22nd 06 12:50 PM

Getting a 300M detailed

I have white and even though it show dirt, it doesn't show scratches or
imperfections. I can also have it washed and not see the water drops when
some of it sprays back on like I have to with white.

The only silver that I ever liked was the Chrysler bright silver. Otherwise
I still like white and gold/champagne and the red that Chrysler offers.

Ken

k.net...