AutoBanter

-   Technology (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Failed SMOG, now what??? (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=49116)

skuba November 20th 05 03:38 AM

Failed SMOG, now what???

Hi, I am trying to sell my 1992 Toyota Tercel, it runs good but has
200k miles on it.

I failed the smog test and now I don't know what to do.

The emission problem could be o2 sensor, catalytic converter or EGR
valve. Or even more than 1 of the 3. So this could cost me a lot.

I was asking $1400 for the car. Now, I don't know if I fix and try to
ask for more, if I should donate, etc...

Do you think I could replace the 02 sensor or catalytic converter
myself? I amnot a mechanic. If the problem is in the 02 sensor or
converter it wn't cost so much, but I believe the EGR valve costs
around $200

Some people are calling me and saying they will buy the car as is. But
I am afraid of that, because without smog they can't transfer to their
name.

What do you suggest?

I appreciate your help.

Thanks so much,

mst November 20th 05 04:17 AM

Failed SMOG, now what???

On 19 Nov 2005 18:38:02 -0800 "skuba" > wrote:

> I failed the smog test and now I don't know what to do.

Many times, I've seen where people change the plugs,
cap and rotor, and use SeaFoam (~200 miles before)
prior to the test. The trick, in most instances, is
to drive the vehicle at LEAST 30 minutes (preferably
an hour) before getting to the inspection station.

Some states offer an owner a max-limit on repairs
to get the vehicle into compliance - once the owner
has spent that amount (some states = ~300 on older
cars), allow the vehicle to pass.

[snip]
> Some people are calling me and saying they will buy the car as is. But
> I am afraid of that, because without smog they can't transfer to their
> name.

Not sure which stat you're in, but in Texas, a person
can sell a car that has an expired inspection sticker.

--
remove MYSHOES to email

« Paul » November 20th 05 04:31 AM

Failed SMOG, now what???

skuba wrote:

> Hi, I am trying to sell my 1992 Toyota Tercel, it runs good but has
> 200k miles on it.
>
> I failed the smog test and now I don't know what to do.
>
> What do you suggest?

Junk it.

ed November 20th 05 04:46 AM

Failed SMOG, now what???

Charity laws have changed. Be careful.

"« Paul »" <"=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul

Ad absurdum per aspera November 20th 05 05:12 AM

Failed SMOG, now what???

> The emission problem could be o2 sensor, catalytic converter or EGR
> valve. Or even more than 1 of the 3. So this could cost me a lot.

1. In what exact ways did you fail the smog test? Usually they give
you a printout with specific tests and their results.

2. What makes you suspect those particular parts? Smoggability
problems can come from a lot of sources, and shotgunning parts at them
is not nearly as efficient (or cheap) an approach as diagnosing what's
wrong.

3. Do you also have driveability or gas-mileage problems or just too
much of one or more of the specific kinds of pollution they check?

4. How long since the last general tune-up (plugs, cap, wires, rotor,
check ignition timing)?

As for the parts you mentioned: Generally speaking, the EGR valve
lends itself to simple go/no-go diagnosis and is not too terribly hard
to replace -- see the repair manual. The O2 sensor isn't hard to
replace on most cars, but mind the precautions so you don't slay it.
These are both usually somewhat comparable in techniques and difficulty
to removing and replacing spark plugs, just to take an example lots of
people are familiar with. The cat is in an awkward location, involves
some physical violence to remove and is by no means cheap... and
besides making sure it's realy the problem, you want to make sure the
upstream components are good so you don't just kill the new one.

Over to you...
--Joe

Ted Mittelstaedt November 20th 05 09:48 AM

Failed SMOG, now what???

"skuba" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Hi, I am trying to sell my 1992 Toyota Tercel, it runs good but has
> 200k miles on it.
>
> I failed the smog test and now I don't know what to do.

Sell it as-is.

> The emission problem could be o2 sensor, catalytic converter or EGR
> valve. Or even more than 1 of the 3. So this could cost me a lot.
>
> I was asking $1400 for the car. Now, I don't know if I fix and try to
> ask for more, if I should donate, etc...

$1400 would be out of the question even if it passed the smog check.

> Do you think I could replace the 02 sensor or catalytic converter
> myself? I amnot a mechanic. If the problem is in the 02 sensor or
> converter it wn't cost so much, but I believe the EGR valve costs
> around $200

Even if you do your own work you will never recoup the money
you spend on it.

> Some people are calling me and saying they will buy the car as is. But
> I am afraid of that, because without smog they can't transfer to their
> name.

Why would you be afraid of that? Unless the state laws specifically
prohibit title transfer you don't need to worry about this. And many
if not most states do not prohibit title transfer just because it fails
smog.
They prohibit REGISTRATION but titling a car isn't the same thing as
registering it. You should check
your state laws carefully. And another thing, even if your state
explicitly prohibits someone from titling a car unless it is smog checked,
you can easily sell it out of state to someone who does not live in
a state that has such Nazi laws.

If I modify a car to use for off-road racing or whatever, it will by
definition fail a smog check. So are you saying that in your state
that people are prohibited from selling ATVs, dragsters, and other
offroad vehicles? I think not.

> What do you suggest?

Sell it and make sure to get identification from the buyer, such
as their drivers license number, and verify that with their actual
license, and make sure to have their signature on a bill of sale or
some such that proves legally that you transferred ownership to
them. Once they own the vehicle, you cannot be held liable
for anything they do with it even if they never transfer the title.
By law they are probably required to transfer the title within 90
days of buying it from you, so if your still paranoid you can
call the cops if they don't do it.

Ted

KC November 20th 05 10:16 AM

Failed SMOG, now what???

Change the engine oil then go immediately to the testing station. Clean oil
is supposed to be a help in passing the tests. Maybe someone else can verify
whether this is true or not.

William R. Watt November 20th 05 04:27 PM

Failed SMOG, now what???

Taking the EGR valve off and cleaning it costs nothing.
Only do it if the Nitrogen (NO) reading on the test was too high.
There is a writeup on checking cleaning the EGR valve on my car on my
website (see below) under "Cars".

Keep YerSpam November 20th 05 06:54 PM

Failed SMOG, now what???

William R. Watt wrote:
> Taking the EGR valve off and cleaning it costs nothing.
> Only do it if the Nitrogen (NO) reading on the test was too high.
> There is a writeup on checking cleaning the EGR valve on my car on my
> website (see below) under "Cars".

And the web address would be ... ?

Cheers,
- JG

Shep November 20th 05 08:53 PM

Failed SMOG, now what???

Ted, true if it is fuel contaminated especially, in respect to hyrocarbons
only.