AutoBanter

-   General (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   91 Ford Explorer Transmission Problem (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=15622)

Michael Hill August 18th 04 03:43 PM

91 Ford Explorer Transmission Problem

Hi all,

My '91 Ford Explorer is having some transmission problems.

I noticed over the past couple months that when I shift from 'park' to
'O' that it took the transmission a second or two to engage instead on
engaging instantly.

Then the other day I was driving and while pulling out into the street
and merging with traffic then transmission dis-engaged from the engine
and the engine rpm increased. I downshifted into the '2' gear and the
transmission re-engaged. I headed back home because of this and then the
tranamission disengaged again from the '2' gear. I shifted again to the
'1' gear where I slowly drove back home.

Anyone know what may be the problem? Are there any adjustments I can
make or does it sound like I am screwed and need another one?

Mike

C. E. White August 20th 04 04:03 PM

You are probably screwed, but at least have the fluid and
filter changed.

Ed

CA was in NJ August 21st 04 09:53 AM

Michael Hill wrote:

>I noticed over the past couple months that when I shift from 'park' to
>'O' that it took the transmission a second or two to engage instead on
>engaging instantly.

I've noticed similar type problems in 2 Ford Escorts ('91 & '00) Sometimes
shifting back to park or neutral, then back to drive works. I believe it
was a clutch problem, so you could check that as well.

I am not a mechanic.

R.I.P. New York Mets radio announcer Bob Murphy 1924-2004
http://newyork.mets.mlb.com/NASApp/m...bob_murphy.jsp

Stephen H. Westin August 23rd 04 05:54 PM

CA was in NJ SHOT_ON_SIGHT> writes:

> Michael Hill wrote:
>
> >I noticed over the past couple months that when I shift from 'park' to
> >'O' that it took the transmission a second or two to engage instead on
> >engaging instantly.

> I've noticed similar type problems in 2 Ford Escorts ('91 & '00) Sometimes
> shifting back to park or neutral, then back to drive works. I believe it
> was a clutch problem, so you could check that as well.
>
> I am not a mechanic.

Well, the Escorts have a Mazda-made transmission, whereas I believe
the Explorer has a Ford transmission made in France. I would be
surprised if any parts, or problems, were shared between the two.

--
-Stephen H. Westin