AutoBanter

-   Chrysler (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Is a torque converter available to replace fluid coupling on 1950 Gyromatic (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=400375)

Gene Walker March 11th 14 02:18 PM

Is a torque converter available to replace fluid coupling on 1950 Gyromatic

I have a 1950 Dodge Coronet with the M6 Gyromatic transmission. The car is
going to
have a substantial restoration and this will be a good time to incorporate any
major
mechanical changes. If it is feasible I would like to upgrade the
transmission from
a fluid coupling to a torque converter. Is this possible and which Chrysler
cars
would have had the torque converter. This would help in finding a converter
from
a parts source. Thanks

--
posted from
http://www.motorsforum.com/chrysler/...-on-72016-.htm

sctvguy1[_2_] March 11th 14 10:14 PM

On Tue, 11 Mar 2014 14:18:02 +0000, Gene Walker wrote:

> I have a 1950 Dodge Coronet with the M6 Gyromatic transmission. The car
> is going to have a substantial restoration and this will be a good time
> to incorporate any major mechanical changes. If it is feasible I would
> like to upgrade the transmission from a fluid coupling to a torque
> converter. Is this possible and which Chrysler cars would have had the
> torque converter. This would help in finding a converter from a parts
> source. Thanks

Look up on allpar and search for fluid drive, or M6. Some Chrysler
Imperials had Fluid Torque Drive, with a shift quadrant, but still had
the clutch. I think this was around 51/52.