AutoBanter

-   Audi (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   oil filter (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=51804)

audidrive December 20th 05 07:47 PM

oil filter

any one have any experience using the below
generic brand oil filter for A4 1.8 2001?
bosch, mann, mahle..
Is it o.i. to use the generic brand?

Hunter

Ronny December 20th 05 08:42 PM

oil filter

"audidrive" > wrote in message
lkaboutautos.com...
> any one have any experience using the below
> generic brand oil filter for A4 1.8 2001?
> bosch, mann, mahle..
> Is it o.i. to use the generic brand?
>
> Hunter

1.8 or 1.8T ?

The 1.8T has had an upgrade on the oil filter, it is larger now to
accomadate the anti sludge problem the americans seem to have.

I used the standard 1.8T oil filter, it was the same as the one I took off,
and costs very little, about £8.00

There is a picture of it here
http://www.ronnysworld.com/oilfilter.JPG

www.ronnysworld.com/service.htm

Ronny December 20th 05 08:43 PM

oil filter

"Ronny" > wrote in message

> "audidrive" > wrote in message
> lkaboutautos.com...
>> any one have any experience using the below
>> generic brand oil filter for A4 1.8 2001?
>> bosch, mann, mahle..
>> Is it o.i. to use the generic brand?
>>
>> Hunter
>>

> 1.8 or 1.8T ?
>
> The 1.8T has had an upgrade on the oil filter, it is larger now to
> accomadate the anti sludge problem the americans seem to have.
>
> I used the standard 1.8T oil filter, it was the same as the one I took
> off, and costs very little, about £8.00
>
> There is a picture of it here
> http://www.ronnysworld.com/oilfilter.JPG
>
> www.ronnysworld.com/service.htm

Excuse the spelling lol, I meant to say accommodate :)

Pete December 20th 05 09:32 PM

oil filter

"audidrive" wrote
> any one have any experience using the below
> generic brand oil filter for A4 1.8 2001?
> bosch, mann, mahle..
> Is it o.i. to use the generic brand?

Mann/Mahle is the OEM filter manufacturer for VAG. Their filters are very
good. Certainly better than FRAM or other cheap stuff you can find at your
local auto parts store.

The standard filter on the 1.8T (if that's what you have) was 06A 115 561B.
Audi (at least in the US) is recommending that the larger 068 115 561B
filter be used instead.

Cheers,

Pete

audidrive December 21st 05 01:12 AM

oil filter

I'm currently using the audi larger filter but thinking of switching to
generic mainly to save money. Does mann/manhle sell the larger filter
always or it's just one same size?
Hunter

Pete December 21st 05 01:23 AM

oil filter

"audidrive" wrote
> I'm currently using the audi larger filter but thinking of switching
> generic mainly to save money.

There is no "audi filter". Whatever audi sells is made by Mann or
Mahle.

> Does mann/manhle sell the larger filter
> always or it's just one same size?

I'm sorry, what? Whichever one you ask for, that's the one you're going
to get.

Pete

Dano58 December 21st 05 02:15 PM

oil filter

Boy, I don't think I'd switch to a cheaper oil filter 'to save
money'..... I'd rather spend a few bucks more now and avoid a potential
hassle if if didn't protect my engine... Knowing the sensitivity of the
1.8T engines to oil issues.... 'Pay me now or pay me later', like the
old Fram ad said....

Dan D
'04 A4 1.8Tq MT-6
Central NJ USA