AutoBanter

-   VW air cooled (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   WTB: Used tranny bell housing (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=13298)

Karl October 13th 04 03:03 PM

WTB: Used tranny bell housing

You will have a problem with a type1 bellhousing and 76 and up 228mm flywheels.
If you want to start a Vanagon engine on the stand, you will need a 210mm or 215mm
bus flywheel.

I just saw a bellhousing FS on the Samba.

"Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott" et> wrote in
message ...

P.J.Berg October 14th 04 12:38 AM

Karl wrote:
> You will have a problem with a type1 bellhousing and 76 and up 228mm
> flywheels.
> If you want to start a Vanagon engine on the stand, you will need a
> 210mm or 215mm
> bus flywheel.
>
> I just saw a bellhousing FS on the Samba.

Wrong.
He will have a problem with a 228 clutch attached to the 228 flywheel, not
the flywheel itselves....

J.

Shaggie October 14th 04 12:42 AM

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 01:38:54 +0200, "P.J.Berg" > wrote:

>Karl wrote:
>> You will have a problem with a type1 bellhousing and 76 and up 228mm
>> flywheels.
>> If you want to start a Vanagon engine on the stand, you will need a
>> 210mm or 215mm
>> bus flywheel.
>>
>> I just saw a bellhousing FS on the Samba.

>Wrong.
>He will have a problem with a 228 clutch attached to the 228 flywheel, not
>the flywheel itselves....

Wrong. He will have a problem with the flywheel itself, not the
flywheel itselves... :-P

>J.
>

>> "Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott"
>> et> wrote in
>> message ...

>>> What? So a guy that told me, "I use the same stand as I use with the
>>> aircooled. A generic engine stand
>>> with a bellhousing from an old transmission. All Vanagon engines fit
>>> the old air cooled transmission too. Only the gear change mechanisms
>>> are different, but in this case it does not matter." . . . he's
>>> mistaken?
>>>
>>> Well then, I'll ask among the watercooled guys if any of them have an
>>> old bell housing they want to part with. Thanks for the correction,
>>> Spee-J.
>>>

>>> --
>>> Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott
>>> 71 Type 2: the Wonderbus
>>> 84 Westphalia: "Mellow Yellow (The Electrical Banana)"
>>> KG6RCR

--

Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite,
and furthermore always carry a small snake.

Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott October 14th 04 01:11 AM

Shaggie wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 01:38:54 +0200, "P.J.Berg" > wrote:
>

>>Karl wrote:
>>
>>>You will have a problem with a type1 bellhousing and 76 and up 228mm
>>>flywheels.
>>>If you want to start a Vanagon engine on the stand, you will need a
>>>210mm or 215mm
>>>bus flywheel.
>>>
>>>I just saw a bellhousing FS on the Samba.

>>Wrong.
>>He will have a problem with a 228 clutch attached to the 228 flywheel, not
>>the flywheel itselves....

> Wrong. He will have a problem with the flywheel itself, not the
> flywheel itselves... :-P

Thanks, fellas. A couple of the lads over at www.vanagon.com's mailing
list have offered their funky, useless bell housings.

P.J.Berg October 15th 04 01:38 AM

Shaggie wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 01:38:54 +0200, "P.J.Berg" > wrote:
>
>> Karl wrote:
>>> You will have a problem with a type1 bellhousing and 76 and up 228mm
>>> flywheels.
>>> If you want to start a Vanagon engine on the stand, you will need a
>>> 210mm or 215mm
>>> bus flywheel.
>>>
>>> I just saw a bellhousing FS on the Samba.

>> Wrong.
>> He will have a problem with a 228 clutch attached to the 228
>> flywheel, not the flywheel itselves....

> Wrong. He will have a problem with the flywheel itself, not the
> flywheel itselves... :-P

How's your Norwegian Travis..

J.

Tim Rogers October 15th 04 01:52 AM

"P.J.Berg" > wrote in message

> How's your Norwegian Travis..

....................Like me, he's got all he that can handle with English.
You multi-lingual Euro guys don't know what a fullback trap behind a pulling
guard is though.........lol

Jan Andersson October 15th 04 05:52 AM

"P.J.Berg" wrote:

> Shaggie wrote:

> >> Wrong.
> >> He will have a problem with a 228 clutch attached to the 228
> >> flywheel, not the flywheel itselves....

> > Wrong. He will have a problem with the flywheel itself, not the
> > flywheel itselves... :-P
> >

> How's your Norwegian Travis..
>
> J.

Fluent, after three sixpacks and a bottle of whiskey ;)

Jan

Shaggie October 15th 04 11:15 AM

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 07:52:21 +0300, Jan Andersson
> wrote:

>"P.J.Berg" wrote:
>>
>> Shaggie wrote:

>> > Wrong. He will have a problem with the flywheel itself, not the
>> > flywheel itselves... :-P
>> >

>> How's your Norwegian Travis..
>>
>> J.

>Fluent, after three sixpacks and a bottle of whiskey ;)
>
>Jan

I saidn't have could it better myself. :-)

Olli Lammi October 15th 04 07:01 PM

Shaggie wrote:

>>>How's your Norwegian Travis..

>>Fluent, after three sixpacks and a bottle of whiskey ;)

> I saidn't have could it better myself. :-)

Actually in Finnish we have a saying "puhua norjaa"
(to speaak norwegian), that means to throw up.
Same as "to speak to the big phone" ;)

---
Olli

Olli Lammi October 15th 04 08:04 PM

Olli Lammi wrote:

> Actually in Finnish we have a saying "puhua norjaa"
> (to speaak norwegian), that means to throw up.
> Same as "to speak to the big phone" ;)

Silly me. It must be an international term. Maybe the
Norwegians invented it. What were they drinking?

---
Olli