AutoBanter

-   Technology (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Cannot remove flywheel, Ford Ranger 3.0l (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=159324)

[email protected] May 27th 07 10:24 PM

Cannot remove flywheel, Ford Ranger 3.0l

Ford Ranger
2002
3.0l V6
5 speed manual

I pulled the six bolts which hold the flywheel to the crank. But the
flywheel refuses to be pulled. It looks like there is a retaining
collar - connected to the crankshaft - which prevents the flywheel
from being removed.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

B.B. May 28th 07 12:58 AM

Cannot remove flywheel, Ford Ranger 3.0l

In article .com>,
" > wrote:

> Ford Ranger
> 2002
> 3.0l V6
> 5 speed manual
>
> I pulled the six bolts which hold the flywheel to the crank. But the
> flywheel refuses to be pulled. It looks like there is a retaining
> collar - connected to the crankshaft - which prevents the flywheel
> from being removed.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks.

Probably just stuck. Screw in one clutch bolt and pry it out.
Should pull the flywheel loose.

Malibu81 May 28th 07 12:59 AM

Cannot remove flywheel, Ford Ranger 3.0l

On May 27, 4:24 pm, "
> wrote:
> Ford Ranger
> 2002
> 3.0l V6
> 5 speed manual
>
> I pulled the six bolts which hold the flywheel to the crank. But the
> flywheel refuses to be pulled. It looks like there is a retaining
> collar - connected to the crankshaft - which prevents the flywheel
> from being removed.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks.

Try bolting a steering wheel puller to the flywheel and an impact to
remove it, if its factory installed its gonna be very difficult to
remove. shouldnt be any sort of retaining collar on the flywheel.
Hope this helps.
Brett B.

[email protected] May 28th 07 04:01 AM

Cannot remove flywheel, Ford Ranger 3.0l

>> Probably just stuck. Screw in one clutch bolt and pry it out.
>> Should pull the flywheel loose.

> Try bolting a steering wheel puller to the flywheel and an impact to
> remove it, if its factory installed its gonna be very difficult to
> remove. shouldnt be any sort of retaining collar on the flywheel.
> Hope this helps.
> Brett B.

Thanks much for the advice. After more work and penetrating oil, the
flywheel
finally came off. In all my years I had never seen one which was
removed with
such difficulty.