AutoBanter

-   Technology (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Idler pulley squeeks, lubricate or replace? (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=441929)

[email protected] March 28th 19 04:06 PM

Idler pulley squeeks, lubricate or replace?

My 94 Saturn SL2 squeels when first started, and may be getting worse. Likeliest guess is the idler pulley bearings. It's not an easy replacement, going through the wheel well. Should I be able to get away with just lubricating it? With what?

Nils K. Hammer

Scott Dorsey March 28th 19 05:52 PM

Idler pulley squeeks, lubricate or replace?

> wrote:
>My 94 Saturn SL2 squeels when first started, and may be getting worse. Likeliest guess is the idler pulley bearings. It's not an easy replacement, going through the wheel well. Should I be able to get away with just lubricating it? With what?

If you squirt a little Superlube or equivalent on the bearings, you can
delay the problem a little bit. You probably want to do this just to make
sure the problem is the idler pulley and not a squealing belt or something
else.

But, this is only delaying the inevitable.
--scott

Paul in Houston TX[_2_] March 28th 19 10:49 PM

wrote:
> My 94 Saturn SL2 squeels when first started, and may be getting
> worse. Likeliest guess is the idler pulley bearings. It's not an easy
> replacement, going through the wheel well. Should I be able to get
> away with just lubricating it? With what?
>
> Nils K. Hammer

If it were me I would make a determined effort to find the source of the
noise before going further.

[email protected] April 1st 19 03:41 PM

Idler pulley squeeks, lubricate or replace?

makes sense

Nils