AutoBanter

-   Driving (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   [M] forget self-driving cars; bring back the stick shift (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=441905)

RS Wood March 25th 19 04:21 AM

[M] forget self-driving cars; bring back the stick shift

From the «also, Millenials don't steal them» department:
Title: Forget Self-Driving Cars. Bring Back the Stick Shift.
Author: VATSAL G. THAKKAR
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2019 17:51:47 -0400
Link: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/23/o...er=rss&emc=rss
Podcast Download URL: https://static01.nyt.com/images/2019...r-Sub-moth.jpg

Technology meant to save us from distraction is making us less attentive.

JAB[_2_] March 25th 19 06:51 AM

[M] forget self-driving cars; bring back the stick shift

On Sun, 24 Mar 2019 23:21:39 -0400, RS Wood >
wrote:

>Technology meant to save us from distraction is making us less attentive.

Not only that, but less coordinated...

Years ago, keys were left in a stick shift vehicle, and someone tried
to steal it, but couldn't get it started.

RS Wood March 26th 19 01:14 AM

JAB > writes:

> On Sun, 24 Mar 2019 23:21:39 -0400, RS Wood >
> wrote:
> >>Technology meant to save us from distraction is making us less attentive.

> > Not only that, but less coordinated... Years ago, keys were left in
> > a stick shift vehicle, and someone tried to steal it, but couldn't
> > get it started.

There's a good security video of some juvenile dirtbag hopping into a
lambourghini/equivalent to steal it, realizing it's a stick shift, and
giving up.

(You know you're dealing with dip****s when you discover they think
sports cars are going to have an automatic transmission).

JAB[_2_] March 26th 19 04:33 AM

[M] forget self-driving cars; bring back the stick shift

On Mon, 25 Mar 2019 20:14:32 -0400, RS Wood >
wrote:

>realizing it's a stick shift, and
>giving up.

Around here, driver's education will teach people how to drive stick
shift, but after driver's ed is over. Student has to spend extra
hours, and furnish a stick shift automobile.

In other words, the kid already has a license...but more class/drive
time would be required....fat chance a kid wants this...

Erik Meltzer[_2_] March 26th 19 09:19 AM

[M] forget self-driving cars; bring back the stick shift

Hi!

On 26.03.2019 01:14, RS Wood wrote:
> (You know you're dealing with dip****s when you discover they think
> sports cars are going to have an automatic transmission).

Well. What about flappy paddle gearboxes?
They're not *that* rare anymore.

Yours,
Ermel.
--
Nach 10 Jahren oder so zurück im Usenet.
Schmeckt wie früher.

JAB[_2_] March 26th 19 03:48 PM

[M] forget self-driving cars; bring back the stick shift

On Tue, 26 Mar 2019 09:19:29 +0100, Erik Meltzer >
wrote:

>Well. What about flappy paddle gearboxes?

An automatic, by any other name, is still an automatic.

Erik Meltzer[_2_] March 26th 19 04:55 PM

On 26.03.2019 15:48, JAB wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Mar 2019 09:19:29 +0100, Erik Meltzer >
> wrote:
>> Well. What about flappy paddle gearboxes?

> An automatic, by any other name, is still an automatic.

Which is my point.

Yours,
Ermel.

JAB[_2_] March 26th 19 07:02 PM

[M] forget self-driving cars; bring back the stick shift

On Tue, 26 Mar 2019 16:55:29 +0100, Erik Meltzer >
wrote:

>> An automatic, by any other name, is still an automatic.

>Which is my point.

That was William Shakespeare's point....

"A rose by any other name would smell as sweet"

Arif Khokar April 6th 19 01:29 AM

[M] forget self-driving cars; bring back the stick shift

Followup set to rec.autos.driving

On 03/24/2019 11:21 PM, RS Wood wrote:

> Technology meant to save us from distraction is making us less attentive.

It's getting more and more difficult to find vehicles with stick shifts.
I bought a new vehicle recently and had to go about 200 miles to a
dealership that had a stick shift model in stock.

JAB[_2_] April 6th 19 04:35 AM

[M] forget self-driving cars; bring back the stick shift

On Fri, 5 Apr 2019 20:29:43 -0400, Arif Khokar >
wrote:

>more difficult to find vehicles with stick shifts

I think it should be a requirement to learn on....its about
mental/physical coordination.

Fuel mileage wise, autos vs sticks today are about same, or same mpg.