AutoBanter

-   Technology (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   new build, ford 302 , cam frozen (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=440149)

[email protected] March 20th 18 04:36 PM

new build, ford 302 , cam frozen

built 347 stroker
Installed all moving parts, rotated engine.fine
AFTER THREE REVS, CAM LOCKED DOWN

this is second time--two cams and two sets of cam bearings
had to use a slide hammer to remove both cams

anyone help?

Steve W.[_6_] March 20th 18 09:26 PM

wrote:
> built 347 stroker
> Installed all moving parts, rotated engine.fine
> AFTER THREE REVS, CAM LOCKED DOWN
>
> this is second time--two cams and two sets of cam bearings
> had to use a slide hammer to remove both cams
>
> anyone help?

What do you have for spring pressures? Are the bearings aligned properly
with the oil feeds? Are you getting oil to the bearings? What are you
using for assembly lube?

--
Steve W.

[email protected] March 21st 18 08:38 PM

On Tuesday, March 20, 2018 at 11:36:52 AM UTC-5, wrote:
> built 347 stroker
> Installed all moving parts, rotated engine.fine
> AFTER THREE REVS, CAM LOCKED DOWN
>
> this is second time--two cams and two sets of cam bearings
> had to use a slide hammer to remove both cams
>
> anyone help?

Thanks Steve, Rockers are not on yet, bearings are aligned using assembly lube. rotated easily for maybe one revolution by hand and the cam froze in the bushings--take off retaining thrust plate and cam is still frozen. second time to remove cam with sliding hammer.
Jan

Kevin Bottorff[_3_] March 22nd 18 03:33 PM

new build, ford 302 , cam frozen

wrote in
:

> On Tuesday, March 20, 2018 at 11:36:52 AM UTC-5,
> wrote:
>> built 347 stroker
>> Installed all moving parts, rotated engine.fine
>> AFTER THREE REVS, CAM LOCKED DOWN
>>
>> this is second time--two cams and two sets of cam bearings
>> had to use a slide hammer to remove both cams
>>
>> anyone help?

> Thanks Steve, Rockers are not on yet, bearings are aligned using
> assembly lube. rotated easily for maybe one revolution by hand and
> the cam froze in the bushings--take off retaining thrust plate and cam
> is still frozen. second time to remove cam with sliding hammer. Jan

is this a brand new cam? mike those berg services for out of round. check
the cam bergs after install for being perfectly round also. KB

Steve W.[_6_] March 23rd 18 03:07 PM

wrote:
> On Tuesday, March 20, 2018 at 11:36:52 AM UTC-5,
> wrote:
>> built 347 stroker Installed all moving parts, rotated engine.fine
>> AFTER THREE REVS, CAM LOCKED DOWN
>>
>> this is second time--two cams and two sets of cam bearings had to
>> use a slide hammer to remove both cams
>>
>> anyone help?

> Thanks Steve, Rockers are not on yet, bearings are aligned using
> assembly lube. rotated easily for maybe one revolution by hand and
> the cam froze in the bushings--take off retaining thrust plate and
> cam is still frozen. second time to remove cam with sliding hammer.
> Jan

Did both cams lock up at the same bearing or does it look like they were
in different spots? If the same journal then you may have an issue with
the cam bore.
Was this a running engine prior to the build or is this a new block
you're working with?

--
Steve W.

wws[_3_] March 23rd 18 04:32 PM

new build, ford 302 , cam frozen

On Tuesday, March 20, 2018 at 11:36:52 AM UTC-5, wrote:
> built 347 stroker
> Installed all moving parts, rotated engine.fine
> AFTER THREE REVS, CAM LOCKED DOWN
>
> this is second time--two cams and two sets of cam bearings
> had to use a slide hammer to remove both cams
>
> anyone help?

I have had to scrape in cam bearings at least once that I know of.

[email protected] March 23rd 18 07:05 PM

new build, ford 302 , cam frozen

On Tuesday, March 20, 2018 at 11:36:52 AM UTC-5, wrote:
> built 347 stroker
> Installed all moving parts, rotated engine.fine
> AFTER THREE REVS, CAM LOCKED DOWN
>
> this is second time--two cams and two sets of cam bearings
> had to use a slide hammer to remove both cams
>
> anyone help?

thanks guys, same cam--now have a new one. block assembly is new re-manufactured .. taking to a hot rod builder for him to check into it.

Scott Dorsey March 23rd 18 09:32 PM

new build, ford 302 , cam frozen

> wrote:
>On Tuesday, March 20, 2018 at 11:36:52 AM UTC-5, wrote:
>> built 347 stroker
>> Installed all moving parts, rotated engine.fine
>> AFTER THREE REVS, CAM LOCKED DOWN
>>
>> this is second time--two cams and two sets of cam bearings
>> had to use a slide hammer to remove both cams
>>
>> anyone help?

>thanks guys, same cam--now have a new one. block assembly is new re-manufactured .. taking to a hot rod builder for him to check into it.

Get the calipers first!
--scott