AutoBanter

-   Alfa Romeo (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Valve seats for 2 liter spider (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=80822)

kpc December 22nd 06 05:40 PM

Valve seats for 2 liter spider

I'm looking for intake and exhaust seats for a 1980 Spider engine. The
seats are recessed unevenly and I don't think they can be cut straight.
I want to put them in myself and do a valve job, just for the
experience. Any ideas?

alfistagj December 23rd 06 01:07 AM

Valve seats for 2 liter spider

"kpc" > schreef in bericht
> I'm looking for intake and exhaust seats for a 1980 Spider engine.

Any professional car part seller can supply them.
Else contact an engine over haul fascility; they will know a source.

> The seats are recessed unevenly and I don't think they can be cut
> straight.

Do you have the machining possibility??
What is the condition of the valve guides?
They need to be within spec to be able to align seat and stem.

> I want to put them in myself and do a valve job, just for the experience.

Do you have a oven/hot bath to heat the complete cylinderhead?
Do you have a welding torch to weld i.e. an old valve to the old seat to
take out the old seat?
Do you have measuring equipment to measure valve seat chamber?
If out of spec do you have machining possibliity to över size the chamber?
Do you have freezing capability to freeze the new seat?

> Any ideas?

With the above questions you raise: Don't try it; have it done by a
professional!
--
Ciao from The Netherlands
alfistagj (aka Gert-Jan)

barks December 24th 06 04:14 AM

Valve seats for 2 liter spider

Don't do it.

Give it to someone who is very experienced with alfa engines of this era.

Barks
105 GTV 2000
156 JTS