AutoBanter

-   4x4 (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   new clutch slips :( (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=37805)

[email protected] July 10th 05 06:11 PM

new clutch slips :(

Guys,

I just installed a brandnew kevlar clutch in my 4runner. The clutch is
from southbend clutch and sports a 1600 lbs pressure plate.

Now that the clutch is in the first thing i notice is the clutch pedal
is soft as butter. pressing it in feels as light as the gas pedal.

the truck rols but the clutch slips at any serious rpm.

I wonder what the problem can be? I had the flywheel ground. Could it
be too thin so that the clutch doesnt engage? but still .. why is the
pedal so soft?

Is there any spec about how thick the flywheel has to be before it
doesnt work anymore (the 4runner wheel has a bump for the clutch disc
and the outside is recessed)..

Advice appreciated

Matt

(xpost)

Bowgus July 10th 05 07:36 PM

Ok ... there used to be clips to be removed from a new clutch ... ???

Bowgus July 11th 05 03:26 AM

Oh yeah .. and those clips removed themselves when the clutch was engaged.

Axel Hammer July 11th 05 05:46 AM

schrieb:

> Guys,
>
> I just installed a brandnew kevlar clutch in my 4runner. The clutch is
> from southbend clutch and sports a 1600 lbs pressure plate.
>
> Now that the clutch is in the first thing i notice is the clutch pedal
> is soft as butter. pressing it in feels as light as the gas pedal.

Hydraulic clutch? Bleed it.

Axel

Spud Demon July 11th 05 04:48 PM

writes in article . com> dated 10 Jul 2005 10:11:36 -0700:
>I just installed a brandnew kevlar clutch in my 4runner. The clutch is
>from southbend clutch and sports a 1600 lbs pressure plate.
>
>Now that the clutch is in the first thing i notice is the clutch pedal
>is soft as butter. pressing it in feels as light as the gas pedal.

This is almost certainly related to the slipping. For some reason, there is
not enough pressure holding the clutch to the flywheel. The amount of
torque that a clutch will handle without slipping is proportional to the
force between the two plates.

>the truck rols but the clutch slips at any serious rpm.
>
>I wonder what the problem can be? I had the flywheel ground. Could it
>be too thin so that the clutch doesnt engage? but still .. why is the
>pedal so soft?
>
>Is there any spec about how thick the flywheel has to be before it
>doesnt work anymore (the 4runner wheel has a bump for the clutch disc
>and the outside is recessed)..

I don't know where to find that spec, other than possibly the shop manual.
But it's more likely that some spring is missing or installed wrong.

-- spud_demon -at- thundermaker.net
The above may not (yet) represent the opinions of my employer.

Caleb Walsh July 13th 05 02:38 AM

You sure that you installed the disk facing the right way? Sounds as if
you may have put it in backwards. Hope for your sake all you need is to
bleed the system or adjust a linkage. Good luck.
Dave

[email protected] July 13th 05 08:19 PM

to all: thanks for the replys and help!

I took the clutch out and it looks like the disk is too thick by about
1 mm... the manufacturer is takeing it back for examination ...

I picked up an Aisin disc to run the truck in the meantime...

Matt

Rob Munach July 14th 05 11:16 AM

wrote:
> to all: thanks for the replys and help!
>
> I took the clutch out and it looks like the disk is too thick by about
> 1 mm... the manufacturer is takeing it back for examination ...
>
> I picked up an Aisin disc to run the truck in the meantime...
>
> Matt

I would think the thicker disk would make it slip less as the pressure
plate would be compressed more.

--
Rob Munach, PE
Excel Engineering

Peter D. Hipson July 14th 05 03:06 PM

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 10:16:48 GMT, Rob Munach >

>> to all: thanks for the replys and help!
>>
>> I took the clutch out and it looks like the disk is too thick by about
>> 1 mm... the manufacturer is takeing it back for examination ...
>>
>> I picked up an Aisin disc to run the truck in the meantime...
>>
>> Matt
>>

>I would think the thicker disk would make it slip less as the pressure
>plate would be compressed more.

Think 'over the center'... The pressure plate's pressure is not
linear, most of the pressure is in that little bit at teh end. Makes
using the clutch more acceptable.

[email protected] July 15th 05 12:17 AM

thought so too but if its too thick the diaphragm bends inwards and the
springs dont put any load on the disc ...