AutoBanter

-   Technology (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   What happens when a u-joint fails? (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=440214)

[email protected] April 1st 18 09:22 PM

What happens when a u-joint fails?

QUESTION 4 EVERY BODY
I HAVE A 1991 JEEP WRANGLER HAS THE 4.0 MOTOR AND IS A 5 SPEED. MANUAL TRANS.
MY QUESTION IS: what would cause the rear shaft to Twist untill it Twisted In half?
Its been used kinda like Skidder But NoT on Pavement!
Joints didn't fail the drive shaft tube Failed! Snapping The front axle at both front wheels and it picked the jeep UP then it came back Down onto the Pavement while driving and all at 40 MPH W A Log Loaded Trailer. It also Ripped a Leaf Spring out from under the rear End! AND ALL AT Once!
I'm in process of fixing all of this. But would a shaft tube failure Cause All of that? Jeep WAS In 4 wheel Drive When It Broke. I'm Making a New Drive shaft a quarter inch thick had the ends turned so the yolks will fit into it. 1 I'm making is 9 and 7 8ths Long Tube. Best I could Figure Was 13 and 1/2 inch Over All. Will this work ?
OPINIONS AND COMMENTS WELCOME PLEASES NO BASHING. THANK YOU! :)
Amizcrock528@
Gmail.com
Thank you.
Needing Pro. Input and ideas or recomendations.
Thanks Again