AutoBanter

-   Audi (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   APR chip malfunction? (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=51705)

Kyle Tucker December 19th 05 11:53 PM

APR chip malfunction?

Hi all,
Had my 2000 A4 1.8TQ in for my oft-engaging engine check
light. Again the codes were for MAF meter and they changed it.
I just picked it up and when the turbo spools up in 2nd and up
gears, it sounds totally unlike before - very loud and clear (as
if someone hit the heater fan on full) and the car flies. But I
feared that's not good. So I pulled over to shut off the APR chip
via the cruise stick to see if it ran regular with the chip off,
but I don't get a blinking check light in either speed to select
on or off. Is my chip and/ECU fried? Am I likely to have to send
this ECU off to APR? Any thoughts? Thanks.

--
- Kyle

Kyle Tucker December 21st 05 12:38 PM

APR chip malfunction?

> Had my 2000 A4 1.8TQ in for my oft-engaging engine check
> light. Again the codes were for MAF meter and they changed it.
> I just picked it up and when the turbo spools up in 2nd and up
> gears, it sounds totally unlike before - very loud and clear (as
> if someone hit the heater fan on full) and the car flies. But I
> feared that's not good. So I pulled over to shut off the APR chip
> via the cruise stick to see if it ran regular with the chip off,
> but I don't get a blinking check light in either speed to select
> on or off. Is my chip and/ECU fried? Am I likely to have to send
> this ECU off to APR? Any thoughts? Thanks.

Well, after a 40 mile ride to work and shutting the car off, I
retried selecting the chip EMCS program and it worked. ???? The
turbo is still noisy - and flies - so I'm taking it to the local
APR dealer in Londonderry, NH today to have it diagnosed. They
said I can upgrade the chip to the latest software for $95 as
well. Can anyone say if it would be worth it for any changes in
code since 2002? Thanks.

--
- Kyle