AutoBanter

-   Technology (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   1999 Toyota Corolla: Failed Key Lock Cylinder & Ignition Switch (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=125968)

Kyle Schwitters March 11th 07 08:30 PM

1999 Toyota Corolla: Failed Key Lock Cylinder & Ignition Switch

My '99 Corolla key lock cylinder won't turn and I'm told it needs to
be replaced. I'm also told that the ignition switch must also be
replaced. True?

A mechanic I know says this is a common problem with Corollas, if not
with most other Toyotas.
True?

Thanx ...

Steve Austin March 11th 07 11:11 PM

Kyle Schwitters wrote:
> My '99 Corolla key lock cylinder won't turn and I'm told it needs to
> be replaced. I'm also told that the ignition switch must also be
> replaced. True?
>
> A mechanic I know says this is a common problem with Corollas, if not
> with most other Toyotas.
> True?
>
> Thanx ...

Most of the time lock cylinders will only come out from the run position.

motoron March 15th 07 12:29 AM

On Mar 11, 4:30 pm, "Kyle Schwitters" > wrote:
> My '99 Corolla key lock cylinder won't turn and I'm told it needs to
> be replaced. I'm also told that the ignition switch must also be
> replaced. True?
>
> A mechanic I know says this is a common problem with Corollas, if not
> with most other Toyotas.
> True?
>
> Thanx ...

I have replaced a lock cylinder on a Camry before and they at least
look the same from the outside. It is a common problem with Toyota's.
It's very easy, almost just pops out. But you shouldn't need to
replace the switch as well unless there are additional problems. Such
as not starting or shuts off if the keys are hit.