AutoBanter

-   Dodge (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   PING: 2000 Caravan 3.0L V6 problem/question. (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=46475)

Blondie October 22nd 05 06:59 PM

PING: 2000 Caravan 3.0L V6 problem/question.

Hello,
I have started to notice, what sounds like a problem coming from my engine
when it is at higher RPM's. It sounds similar to the noise you hear from an
engine that has mechanical valve lifters that are out of adjustment (loose).
Under the hood, the noise seems to be coming from the top of the engine.
The vehicle has 50,000 miles on it, and I have changed the oil every 3,000
miles since new (10W-30). Anyone that has knowledge about this I would
greatly appreciate your input.

maxpower October 22nd 05 07:24 PM

"Blondie" > wrote in message
> Hello,
> I have started to notice, what sounds like a problem coming from my engine
> when it is at higher RPM's. It sounds similar to the noise you hear from

an
> engine that has mechanical valve lifters that are out of adjustment

(loose).
> Under the hood, the noise seems to be coming from the top of the engine.
> The vehicle has 50,000 miles on it, and I have changed the oil every 3,000
> miles since new (10W-30). Anyone that has knowledge about this I would
> greatly appreciate your input.

Without hearing the noise it would be hard to say, but yes it could be
lifter noise

Glenn Beasley
Chrysler Tech

Blondie October 22nd 05 11:32 PM

"maxpower" > wrote in message

> "Blondie" > wrote in message
>> Hello,
>> I have started to notice, what sounds like a problem coming from my
>> engine
>> when it is at higher RPM's. It sounds similar to the noise you hear from

> an
>> engine that has mechanical valve lifters that are out of adjustment

> (loose).
>> Under the hood, the noise seems to be coming from the top of the engine.
>> The vehicle has 50,000 miles on it, and I have changed the oil every
>> 3,000
>> miles since new (10W-30). Anyone that has knowledge about this I would
>> greatly appreciate your input.
>>

> Without hearing the noise it would be hard to say, but yes it could be
> lifter noise
>
> Glenn Beasley
> Chrysler Tech

Hello Glenn,
Thanks for the reply. I guess I should have also asked the question of
whether this particular engine is known for, or notourious for, any kind of
problem in the cam/lifter/valve area?

maxpower October 22nd 05 11:43 PM

"Blondie" > wrote in message

> "maxpower" > wrote in message
> >
> > "Blondie" > wrote in message
> >> Hello,
> >> I have started to notice, what sounds like a problem coming from my
> >> engine
> >> when it is at higher RPM's. It sounds similar to the noise you hear

from
> > an
> >> engine that has mechanical valve lifters that are out of adjustment

> > (loose).
> >> Under the hood, the noise seems to be coming from the top of the

engine.
> >> The vehicle has 50,000 miles on it, and I have changed the oil every
> >> 3,000
> >> miles since new (10W-30). Anyone that has knowledge about this I would
> >> greatly appreciate your input.
> >>

> > Without hearing the noise it would be hard to say, but yes it could be
> > lifter noise
> >
> > Glenn Beasley
> > Chrysler Tech
> >

> Hello Glenn,
> Thanks for the reply. I guess I should have also asked the question of
> whether this particular engine is known for, or notourious for, any kind

of
> problem in the cam/lifter/valve area?

I have seen lifters fail and cause noise but it isnt a problem with that
engine, the most common problem for lifter noise on that engine is when it
gets low on oil. They will make noise untill the correct oil level is
achieved.