AutoBanter

-   Dodge (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Grand Caravan auto-stick problems (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=151291)

Joe[_55_] May 1st 07 05:34 PM

Grand Caravan auto-stick problems

I have a '99 Grand Caravan, 3.8L, auto-stick on the column.

Symptoms are as follows:
-If I shift into auto-stick mode at any speed, there is no perceptible
change anywhere--gear indicator stays on 'D', no change in gears, etc (this
could be normal, as it has never worked so I'm not sure how it should behave
when first engaged)
-Once in auto-stick mode, clicking the up or down switch causes no
perceptible change...gear indicator stays on 'D', the gears do not change
-The overdrive button at the end of the shift lever also does not work--it
does not disable overdrive at any speed

My Chilton's guide has no auto-stick info at all, nor is it included in the
wiring diagrams, so I'm not sure where to start--can't find a fuse or relay
for auto-stick, and I don't know where the common failure points are.

If anyone has any suggestions or info I'd be much obilged.

Dan C May 2nd 07 04:11 AM

On Tue, 01 May 2007 10:34:09 -0600, Joe wrote:

> I have a '99 Grand Caravan, 3.8L, auto-stick on the column.
>
> Symptoms are as follows:
> -If I shift into auto-stick mode at any speed, there is no perceptible
> change anywhere--gear indicator stays on 'D', no change in gears, etc (this
> could be normal, as it has never worked so I'm not sure how it should behave
> when first engaged)
> -Once in auto-stick mode, clicking the up or down switch causes no
> perceptible change...gear indicator stays on 'D', the gears do not change
> -The overdrive button at the end of the shift lever also does not work--it
> does not disable overdrive at any speed
>
> My Chilton's guide has no auto-stick info at all, nor is it included in the
> wiring diagrams, so I'm not sure where to start--can't find a fuse or relay
> for auto-stick, and I don't know where the common failure points are.
>
> If anyone has any suggestions or info I'd be much obilged.

Don't worry about it. The auto-stick is a joke and a waste, anyway,
especially on a Caravan. Leave it in "D" and worry about something that
actually matters.

Joe[_55_] May 2nd 07 05:48 AM

"Dan C" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 01 May 2007 10:34:09 -0600, Joe wrote:
>
>> I have a '99 Grand Caravan, 3.8L, auto-stick on the column.
>>
>> Symptoms are as follows:
>> -If I shift into auto-stick mode at any speed, there is no perceptible
>> change anywhere--gear indicator stays on 'D', no change in gears, etc
>> (this
>> could be normal, as it has never worked so I'm not sure how it should
>> behave
>> when first engaged)
>> -Once in auto-stick mode, clicking the up or down switch causes no
>> perceptible change...gear indicator stays on 'D', the gears do not change
>> -The overdrive button at the end of the shift lever also does not
>> work--it
>> does not disable overdrive at any speed
>>
>> My Chilton's guide has no auto-stick info at all, nor is it included in
>> the
>> wiring diagrams, so I'm not sure where to start--can't find a fuse or
>> relay
>> for auto-stick, and I don't know where the common failure points are.
>>
>> If anyone has any suggestions or info I'd be much obilged.

> Don't worry about it. The auto-stick is a joke and a waste, anyway,
> especially on a Caravan. Leave it in "D" and worry about something that
> actually matters.
>
> --
> "Ubuntu" -- an African word, meaning "Slackware is too hard for me".

Don't know about other models, but on this van the autostick is the only way
to downshift. Driving in a mountainous area (we just moved to one) without
being able to engine brake is just plain unsafe.

jcr May 5th 07 01:16 AM

Joe wrote:
> "Dan C" > wrote in message
>> On Tue, 01 May 2007 10:34:09 -0600, Joe wrote:
>>
>>> I have a '99 Grand Caravan, 3.8L, auto-stick on the column.
>>>
>>> Symptoms are as follows:
>>> -If I shift into auto-stick mode at any speed, there is no perceptible
>>> change anywhere--gear indicator stays on 'D', no change in gears, etc
>>> (this
>>> could be normal, as it has never worked so I'm not sure how it should
>>> behave
>>> when first engaged)
>>> -Once in auto-stick mode, clicking the up or down switch causes no
>>> perceptible change...gear indicator stays on 'D', the gears do not
>>> change
>>> -The overdrive button at the end of the shift lever also does not
>>> work--it
>>> does not disable overdrive at any speed
>>>
>>> My Chilton's guide has no auto-stick info at all, nor is it included
>>> in the
>>> wiring diagrams, so I'm not sure where to start--can't find a fuse or
>>> relay
>>> for auto-stick, and I don't know where the common failure points are.
>>>
>>> If anyone has any suggestions or info I'd be much obilged.

>> Don't worry about it. The auto-stick is a joke and a waste, anyway,
>> especially on a Caravan. Leave it in "D" and worry about something that
>> actually matters.
>>
>> --
>> "Ubuntu" -- an African word, meaning "Slackware is too hard for me".
>>

> Don't know about other models, but on this van the autostick is the only
> way to downshift. Driving in a mountainous area (we just moved to one)
> without being able to engine brake is just plain unsafe.

Agreed. I use it to down-shift on steep downhill grades all the time!

elias December 31st 13 12:50 PM

Joe wrote on 05/01/2007 12:34 ET :
> I have a '99 Grand Caravan, 3.8L, auto-stick on the column.
>
> Symptoms are as follows:
> -If I shift into auto-stick mode at any speed, there is no perceptible
> change anywhere--gear indicator stays on 'D', no change in gears, etc (this
> could be normal, as it has never worked so I'm not sure how it should behave
> when first engaged)
> -Once in auto-stick mode, clicking the up or down switch causes no
> perceptible change...gear indicator stays on 'D', the gears do not change
> -The overdrive button at the end of the shift lever also does not work--it
> does not disable overdrive at any speed
>
> My Chilton's guide has no auto-stick info at all, nor is it included in the
> wiring diagrams, so I'm not sure where to start--can't find a fuse or relay
> for auto-stick, and I don't know where the common failure points are.
>
> If anyone has any suggestions or info I'd be much obilged.

Sorry, this reply is too late to help you, but perhaps it will help others
reading. I had the same problem on a '99 Dodge Grand Caravan ES with the
autostick. The van worked fine in D (drive) but would not turn on the autostick
function when the transmission lever was placed in the next slot. Since I live
in the mountains, it is essential to be able to downshift on a long grade.
People who don't burn their brakes out quickly and are dangerous on the passes.

My van also illuminated the "AUTOSTICK" when the engine was off and
transmission selector was in autostick position, but not while running.
Transmission shop said it would take them a few days to figure it out, but that
it sounded electrical and would be best to go to the dealer. Dealership said
there were several possibilities (lever select pawl, transmission control
module, and others) but it would cost $189 to look at it and then they would
call with a repair estimate after their diagnoses.

I read that a common problem with the autostick was a broken wire running from
the steering wheel to the transmission select lever and then going inside it to
the autostick buttons. There are two wires; every time you shift from park to
drive, the wires are bent. Eventually they break.
After taking all of the covers/panels etc. off, I found the wires and they
looked fine. However they were broken inside the insulation. I spliced and
soldered both back together and it worked! Saved hundreds of dollars and only
took a few hours (going slowly and with interruptions). Hope this helps
someone
else out!

[email protected] January 24th 20 07:52 PM

Grand Caravan auto-stick problems

Doesn't shift stays in 2nd all times the readout on the dash p r n d 4 3 2 1 are all said there on