AutoBanter

-   Jeep (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Exhaust for 83 YJ (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=40351)

Steve Foley August 9th 05 01:32 PM

Exhaust for 83 YJ

I've got a YJ build around a 1983 base. The only parts that are original
1983 are interchangeable with the donor 1987. Therefore my YJ doesn't need
to pass a smog test, only safety inspection.

My exhaust finally let go this weekend. George Foreman (Meinke sp?) says its
$850 - $1150 to replace. Everything except the manifold needs replacement. I
figured I'd spend a few hundred dollars having them do it instead of
crawling under it and pounding for two days, but for that kind of money,
I'll grab a case of beer and start pounding.

Seeing as I'd like to tread lightly on the atmosphere, I should probably go
with a catalytic converter.

What should I get for a replacement? Suggestions requested.

Billy Ray August 9th 05 03:02 PM

Call Around.

In the Cincinnati area Cat-Back installations are usually available for $100
or less with a lifetime guarantee. Adding a new converter will add a few
hundred to the price.

IsellJeeps August 9th 05 03:08 PM

wow... in houston meineke does my convertors for 125 installed.

Mike Romain August 9th 05 05:25 PM

What are they using? Gold plated stainless or something?

The complete system for a CJ7 runs under $300.00. Front pipe, muffler,
tailpipe, hangers and Speedy Muffler's labor. I get 5.89 NOx running
with a 2" straight pipe and a dynomax superturbo muffler. The muffler
alone is something like $71.00.

CJ's use a straight pipe with the exhaust on the driver's side.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's